Noob's Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy as - I'd replace the yeast with a sachet of S-04 though...the Cascade yeast is pretty cruddy IMHO. I've used US-05 in a porter before however, and it came out quite well with a very clean crisp taste, not as mellow as the same recipe I used S-04 for. If you've got stock Coopers yeast lying around from a previous can of goop I'd use that over the Cascade if you don't want to buy the other. Its up to you!

Cheers - boingk

Since the only place in my town to get homebrew stuff is Big W, I'll be mail ordering everything else anyway, so I may as well fork out a couple of more dollars for a decent yeast.

I put down the following 14 days ago.. Will be bottling tomorrow.

1 Can Cooper's Stout
1 Can Cooper's Dark Ale
500grms LDME
200grms Dark brown sugar
200grms 100% Cocoa Powder (cheapass Black & Gold brand)
Both kit yeasts.

Took off like a rocket and spewed crud up my laundry wall....

Started at 1078??? ( I hope my reading was right)

Very distictive choc flavours and smell during testing (haven't tested in a couple of days though). Last reading 1014.

I'll hopefully give you an update once bottled & tasted.

Not wrong, just possibly unexpected. Also experimented a bit with the Cadburys DC - its main problem it is more sugar than cocoa. I found it fermented away (in an english ale) leaving almost no chocolate flavour. With the stout it would be interesting to know if you get any residual chocolate taste at all.

I also used it in place of sugar to bottle condition a porter only to find - bottle bombs ! Put abpiy three teaspoons per bottle - gushers !

However - I ended up putting these gushing beers into a keg and after it settled down, they were actually quite good and with a nice chocolately taste. So I'm now planning a porter with cocoa / drinking chocolate into the keg and going that way to get the chocolate flavour I like.

Tell me how you went.

After 1 week in primary I couldn't detect any chocolate flavour, so I added 25ml of cherry brandy essence, and 25ml of chocolate essence. I now have a Cherry Ripe Stout! After 1 week in the bottle it is ok. It's nice, it's different, it's unusual.

Has anyone got any results back from this?

I'm very intrested in knowing how it went.

I put down the following 14 days ago.. Will be bottling tomorrow.

1 Can Cooper's Stout
1 Can Cooper's Dark Ale
500grms LDME
200grms Dark brown sugar
200grms 100% Cocoa Powder (cheapass Black & Gold brand)
Both kit yeasts.

Took off like a rocket and spewed crud up my laundry wall....

Started at 1078??? ( I hope my reading was right)

Very distictive choc flavours and smell during testing (haven't tested in a couple of days though). Last reading 1014.

I'll hopefully give you an update once bottled & tasted.

Any update Matr how did it go ? sounds interesting

I wonder what would happen if you 'Dry Hopped' some Chocolate after primary fermentation :huh:

Latest posts

Back