Noob Tap Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcampbell

Reaction score
I have a Keg King kegerator with a triple font with the standard Keg King taps (two for beer and one has been hijacked by SWMBO for Soda Water).

I need some help with the taps. When I get a good pour it is a great beer, but about 50% of the time when I pour instead of the beer coming out as a single flow, it will "fan out" of the tap and be a stream with air in the centre - like the beer is coming out around the edges of the tap and there is nothing in the middle. When this happens we are in uncontrollable head country!

The flow rate at the moment is 8 seconds to fill a middy/pot. The lines in the fridge are 4mm ID at 2 metres. I originally had 5mm ID at 4 metres and the length of line in the fridge nearly drove me mad! Delivery pressure is 18psi.

1) Is this flow rate too low and this is the cause of the "fanning"? If so should I shorten the lines or up the pressure.

2) Are the taps just "OK" and it would be fixed/ would I get a better pour with better taps.

I see that Celli taps have an adjustable restrictor - does this help? Although I note on the craftbrewer site they don't fit fonts - and are bloody expensive - or do you get what you pay for!
The other taps people have mentioned on here are perlicks, but I don't see how they fit on to a font. Do they just screw on to the existing coupling nut, or do you replace everything?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but you guys are a great source of knowledge. When it comes to making mistakes I would rather fall in to new and more creative holes than the same one everyone else has fallen in to :)

Cheers
Steve

I have the same issue with my taps if I don't pull on the handle in the right mannor (one Dorado, one Celi), the Dorado one actually does it a lot less, but the whole pour in general is better with the Celi, I do notice if you have the restrictor on too much then yes, it will cause it, I gues where the restrictor sits will depend on your line diameter/lenght. I've found just stopping and starting again fixes it every time on my system.
The Celi fit straight onto my font, not sure how the Keg King ones are set-up but can't see it being much different from all the other standard kegerators. I'd be interested to hear peoples replies on the fitting of the Perlick's to these fonts as it's a tap I've been looking at for replacing the Dorado one I have.

When you were using the 5mm ID lines at 4m did you have the same problem?
If not then obviously it is your current resistance being the issue.

Just noticed your serving pressure, 18psi :eek: , what temp are you serving at?

That's pretty high carbonation, Amber Fluid might be on the money, were you having this issue before? I'm thinking it might be a combo of, high carb for the temp, short line length, and (if you have one) becuase of the previous two, you'd prolly need the restrictor on pretty slow to help prevent foaming, but it's causing the faning

You could also turn your gas off and keep pouring the beer until you find where it pours how you want. Then check what pressure your reg gauge is at. Provided the pressure has equilized in the keg, you should set your gauge to pour at that pressure.

When you were using the 5mm ID lines at 4m did you have the same problem?
If not then obviously it is your current resistance being the issue.

Same problem with both setups.

I have now turned the gas down to 70kpa and am degassing the keg to see what happens.

Cheers
Steve

You'll need to vent the keg every few hours for a while (don't ask me how long becuse I've never done it so I don't know), becuase the beer inside the keg will still have co2 in solution, if you burp the keg just the once, all you're doing is letting the co2 out of the headspace and not the beer, this will give you a false reading on your regulator. Alternativly, you could give the keg a bit of a shake between burps, get it done quicker, don't shake keg with gas qd hooked up

You'll need to vent the keg every few hours for a while (don't ask me how long becuse I've never done it so I don't know), becuase the beer inside the keg will still have co2 in solution, if you burp the keg just the once, all you're doing is letting the co2 out of the headspace and not the beer, this will give you a false reading on your regulator. Alternativly, you could give the keg a bit of a shake between burps, get it done quicker, don't shake keg with gas qd hooked up

Both kegs sitting on the verandah now - shaken not stirred - and burping :)

Cheers
Steve

Kegs burped - kegs back to temperature.

Pouring much better, but very slowly. May need to shorten the line.

But I have also bitten the bullet and bought three stainless Perlicks and stainless couplings after a few phone conversations and PMs. This should make the gear future proof.

BTW, I opened up the taps supplied with the Kegerator and found the inside of the section between the tap and the font was pink on the inside with some black discolouration. No chrome in this area. I'm assuming it is copper (or possibly nickel) that was applied to the brass before plating but they missed the plating. It is also very rough, so this might be causing gassing in this area.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
Steve

I have found Keg King to be pretty helpful. Give them a call and ask for a replacement tap. Even if you don't use it, at least you will have a spare "unblemished" one.

If it is pouring much better now but very slowly, then maybe increase the pouring pressure slightly... 1 or 2 psi at a time. It sounds like a combination of being slightly over carbed and a high dispensing pressure. My guess is that the keg equilized at 18psi which would be too high.

I have found Keg King to be pretty helpful. Give them a call and ask for a replacement tap. Even if you don't use it, at least you will have a spare "unblemished" one.

If it is pouring much better now but very slowly, then maybe increase the pouring pressure slightly... 1 or 2 psi at a time. It sounds like a combination of being slightly over carbed and a high dispensing pressure. My guess is that the keg equilized at 18psi which would be too high.

True, Keg King have always been most helpful. Kegs are now pouring nicely at 70kpa. I'm going to leave it at that pressure until the Perlicks arrive and see how they pour, then adjust from there.

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers
Steve

mate how's the minister for war and finance's soda at 70kpa? i would've thought she'd have to approve purchase of a dual outlet regulator so you can run her beverages at a higher carb????

i've not done a soda keg before but it's on the cards, i find it helps with approvals on other fronts if you provide a lucrative deal...

mate how's the minister for war and finance's soda at 70kpa? i would've thought she'd have to approve purchase of a dual outlet regulator so you can run her beverages at a higher carb????

i've not done a soda keg before but it's on the cards, i find it helps with approvals on other fronts if you provide a lucrative deal...

I haven't told her :) The "Hand Brake" is given information on a need to know basis :) But having said that I lust for one of those piggy back setups, so I could run ales at 70kpa, Wheats at 110(?) and carb the crap out of the soda :)

I'm only new to this but it pays to keep SWMBO happy. The Kegerator is my inside bar - there is an outside one planned in the future and I have a 300 chest freezer ready so I need to keep her happy.

Cheers
Steve

Back