Non-stick Ok In Boil Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I found a $10 perforated pizza tray that would make a good false bottom for my BIAB e-keggle. Did a search, but didn't find anything on the topic.

Anyone know if non-stick will contaminate the brew or if having it in a boil kettle will rust it? (It'd just be cheap mild steel underneath, I'd imagine.)

Cheers,

I have the same question, I've got a cake rake that's pretty much the same. I'd only be using it during the mash though.

I figure they're designed to have food directly on them, and they can withstand the temperatures when frying etc, so you'd think they'd be okay.

I have the same question, I've got a cake rake that's pretty much the same. I'd only be using it during the mash though.

I figure they're designed to have food directly on them, and they can withstand the temperatures when frying etc, so you'd think they'd be okay.

I found the tray when looking for a round cake rack. Not a single one in Big W, nor Target, Coles, Safeway... 0_0

Non-stick pans are designed to withstand around 200c DRY, INDIRECT heat. A lot of non-stick products say "not dish-washer recommended", which is a part of my concern for submerging it for 90 minutes at 65-80c.

I don't see any need to keep it in the keggle during the boil either, if that will make any difference.

You sure mate? I have a non-stick pot at home used for boiling water etc. Also non stick frypans have sizzling fat constantly all over them at well above 100 degrees.

Oh dear, I hope it's alright otherwise I'll need to find another way of attaching the mesh to the malt pipe in my ghettomiser (I'm using a spring form cake tin).

PS. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stick_pan

At first I was a little worried, but it seems that it is only high temps that are a problem. And there are non-stick saucepans too, which we boil things in, so it should be okay.

PPS. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

Okay, that is worrying. As long as it doesn't touch the element all is good for our uses, even at low pH, but I've smoked the pan when cooking meat before. o_O

You sure mate? I have a non-stick pot at home used for boiling water etc. Also non stick frypans have sizzling fat constantly all over them at well above 100 degrees.

Non-stick pots are made using more advanced processes and materials and are therefore significantly more expensive than no-name style trays.

I'm leaning towards it not being a problem, but being over-cautious has saved me in the past.

Also, teflon based non-stick coatings have been proven to release toxic gasses. I think this has been sorted out in modern methods in the top shelf cookware, but I'd take a guess that a $10 cake rack missed out.

I'm personally not concerned by the toxic gas thing, but I just don't want off tastes or counter productive chemical reactions in my beer!

The ******* Mark beat me to it, but read my links.

My reading has reassured me though. Boiling water will reach a max temp of 100* at sea-level and around abouts. As long as it's not touching the element, so probably not a good fit for you.

I found the tray when looking for a round cake rack. Not a single one in Big W, nor Target, Coles, Safeway... 0_0

Non-stick pans are designed to withstand around 200c DRY, INDIRECT heat. A lot of non-stick products say "not dish-washer recommended", which is a part of my concern for submerging it for 90 minutes at 65-80c.

I don't see any need to keep it in the keggle during the boil either, if that will make any difference.

I think that's for the same reason that PBW is not recommended for non-stick cookware. The PBW will get under the teflon coating and lift it right up! And dish-washer powder shares ingredients with PBW

Latest posts

Back