Non-return Valves Yes Or No?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you over fill your keg, ie the short gas tube is submerged in beer, you can do this via the gas post as well.
If you have over fill like this and you have more then one keg connected you can get beer transferring from the "too full" keg to the one your pouring from.
Dont ask how I know thiscleaning gas lines is not fun

Repeat after me

Don't over fill your kegs

Its better to just drink that a litre or so of flattish beer
Thats my therapy done for the day !
Very valid point.
BTW I dont see any real benefit in gassing from out tube, if any body can back up this with science please let me know how this works.
GB
GB

Basically connect the gas to the beer out post

Turn your reg upto 300kpa

Rock the keg for 60 secs or however long depending on the beer temp / how hard you rock

The gas is bubbled through the beer rather than into the head space

And after about 5 mins you can pour a beer

In this pic you can sorta see I have a splitter with a beer out connector (hiding in the crate) used exclusively for force carbing

Also there is a blue switch to isolate the kegs in the fridge so they aren't exposed to 300kpa

Hope this makes sense

mykegonlegs68kgco2bottlewithgasrunningintofridge.jpg

Cheers

Basically connect the gas to the beer out post

Turn your reg upto 300kpa

Rock the keg for 60 secs or however long depending on the beer temp / how hard you rock

The gas is bubbled through the beer rather than into the head space

And after about 5 mins you can pour a beer

In this pic you can sorta see I have a splitter with a beer out connector (hiding in the crate) used exclusively for force carbing

Also there is a blue switch to isolate the kegs in the fridge so they aren't exposed to 300kpa

Hope this makes sense

mykegonlegs68kgco2bottlewithgasrunningintofridge.jpg

Cheers

I just connect to the gas in and rock for 60 seconds and it works just fine...

I think if you just connect to the gas post and shake this will work just as well.Now if you had a carbonation stone on your Liquid out tube this would make sense, if not the bubbles coming out are going to be so big its not going to make a difference.Its a bubble surface area thing , 1 large bubble (liquid out tube) with and area of X versus many thousands of minute bubbles (carbonation stone.) with a surface area of X to the power of 10. Make sense? This is how some bigger breweries carb in line.
GB

Why was there all the fuss with force carbing via the beer out as described in this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10667

I've not tried simply connecting the gas connector and rocking as I assumed rapid carbonation couldn't be achieved without having the gas in dip tube in contact with the beer - hence people laying the keg on it's side to force carb

Would like to get this clarified

Cheers

+1
Small cost for protection of your precious regulator.

If you put it this way: just because shes on the pill, doesnt mean you should 'wrap it'.

Just another layer of safety! :D

It doesn't matter how careful you are, it matters how careful other people are around your keg system or the equiptment you use on your keg setup. I'd prefer to not take the the risk going commando, no matter how good it feels! 'wrap it'. :lol:

Why was there all the fuss with force carbing via the beer out as described in this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10667

I've not tried simply connecting the gas connector and rocking as I assumed rapid carbonation couldn't be achieved without having the gas in dip tube in contact with the beer - hence people laying the keg on it's side to force carb

Would like to get this clarified

Cheers
I never knew Ross invented this method ? I seen it books long before? :D I can see what its getting at though, a bubbling of gas through the liquid.This would be greatly improved by much smaller bubbles (Carbonation stone increasing surface area).It does use more gas by burping the keg as opposed to simply shaking.Like you said laying a keg on its side, increases surface area , hence better gas dissolution.
I dont have a CO2 meter but the gas laws would prove me right.Bigger surface area = quicker uptake, other variables such as tempo etc. have to be taken into account.
GB

Back