Nom bubbles in airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albioninoz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am presently fermenting a Coopers English Bitter. Its been almost 5 days and although I've had one or two bubbles through the airlock now the water in both sides of the airlock is level! I have taken the top off and given it a good stir but to no avail. I used SAF Ale 04 yeast instead of the yeast provided as I have done many times before. I have used duct tape around where the top fits and poured water onto the top so where the airlock fits in the rubber grommet is under water and therefore airtight. The temp is between 20 and 22°C. I have been using kits like this for many years so am not a total novice but am I making a fundamental mistake?
At the beginning I lost about ½ litre because the tap was not tight. Could I have lost some yeast?
I cannot see where any gas can be escaping or whether any is being generated. Can I add more yeast?
Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks, Ray

do you have a hydrometer? the only way of knowing what your ferment is actually doing.

Don't pay too much attention to the air lock. CO2 will escape from your fermenter via the path of least resistance, and if it isn't well sealed that path may not be the airlock.

Check your gravity with a hydrometer, that is the only true sign that fermentation is progressing satisfactorily.

JD.

Latest posts

Back