No Idea What To Brew Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydneybrewer

Reaction score
G'day brewers
as the title sugests I am stuck for ideas for what I should brew next I am only brewing extracts and want to brew something that should be drinkable after a month don't really have the patience for a 12 week brew atm anywAy I am drinking blue tongue lager atm so would like to brew an extract of a similar style if at all possible, cheers.

Ps mind the gramer I am typing off the iPhone as the dam wife hogs our laptop

most wheat beers can be comsumed young.

how can you be stuck on what to brew? you could make 1 brew a week and it would take a couple yeasr to get through all the ones listed in the recipe databse.

all look up the bjcp guidelines and brew 1 beer from each style. that will keep you busy for a while.

most wheat beers can be comsumed young.

how can you be stuck on what to brew? you could make 1 brew a week and it would take a couple yeasr to get through all the ones listed in the recipe databse.

all look up the bjcp guidelines and brew 1 beer from each style. that will keep you busy for a while.

I have so much trouble about what to decide to brew next... Munich Dunkle, another bitter or a rye IPA...

I have so much trouble about what to decide to brew next... Munich Dunkle, another bitter or a rye IPA...
looking at your sig KT i recon dunkle, rye IPA then bitter. you dont have enough dark beer, youve got a bitter, so the IPA is next and it takes extra tie to dry hop, which in the meantime you can then start your bitter :icon_cheers:

edit: my semi IPA is dry hopping atm. almost 40g dry hopping. :icon_drool2:

There is only one page each of extract and kit recipes in the DB. While that would come up to near 50 recipes it would be unfair to suggest that Sydneybrewer should just brew them because they are there.

Sydneybrewer, do look through those recipes then if any take your fancy have a read through the discussion thread for them and you might get an idea whether they are worth making or not.

If you're not in a hurry this forum is a much better resource for extract/K&B recipes but I'd hate to try to search for them. :blink:

This thread does beg the question, though - If you don't know what you want to brew why are you brewing?

[EDIT: swapped one definite article for a proximal demonstrative]

hmm yeah good point re recipe DB. look up best K&K thread or simialr search. heaps of recipes.

look up best K&K thread or simialr search

for sure, there are more in the threads than in the db.

As far as drinking young.....as a (very generalised) rule of thumb (and not a definitive statement), styles that are fairly low on bitterness are generally better young (as there are less 'rough edges' that need smoothing out). The example already mentioned is a wheat beer. Others would be English Mild, or Bitter (which isn't all that bitter...it's really more malt driven). Styles to stay clear of (in the context of wanting to drink young) are ones that have high bittering additions, or use yeast strains that either take a long time to ferment, or that need extended time conditioning, for the yeast to clear up after itself, or have very bold flavours from high proportions of heavily roasted grains. eg, lagers, IPA's, stouts etc.

Was more overwhelmed with all the choices and keep changing my mind, really wanted to do a European lager but don't want to wait months to drink it while I am still only new to brewing I want to sample what I make rather then waiting 3 months to drink my first beer

yes but the rewards of a finely crafted lager are worth the wait.

you need more fermentors! 1 lager and 1 for ales. go an english biter or mild as butters suggested. clean forgiving brews.

Here's an extract brew that I'm drinking right this minute. Five weeks from goo to glass.

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract
1.0kg LDME
1.0kg Dextrose
0.35kg Carapils (steeped)
17g Horizon 60min
15g Southern Cross 0min
S-04
23L @ 20 degC

I steep the carapils in 4L of water for 30 minutes or so and then boil the hops (in a voile bag) in this. After the 60 minutes is up the 4L is more like 2.5 ... proceed as a kit brew using the 2.5L of hopped carapils steep as the "boiling water".

Tastes awesome. Southern cross is a great aroma/flavour hop IMO.

In a Fortnight I had a drinkable ale

1 Can (1.7kg)Morgans Australian Lager
1 Can (1kg)Morgans Lager Malt
Some Hops
The Ale yeast supplied with the tin.

I have 3 lagers sitting around at the moment "conditioning" which is a pain in the ass, as I got no beer on tap.

G'day brewers
as the title sugests I am stuck for ideas for what I should brew next I am only brewing extracts and want to brew something that should be drinkable after a month don't really have the patience for a 12 week brew atm anywAy I am drinking blue tongue lager atm so would like to brew an extract of a similar style if at all possible, cheers.

Ps mind the gramer I am typing off the iPhone as the dam wife hogs our laptop

Most beers that are light or middle of the range will be ready within 1 month. A lot of them would suffer from ageing too long. Only really heavy / heavily hopped beers / high in alcohol should be aged.

QldKev

If you need something good quickly,
Coopers Canadian Blonde + goldings is great.
Morgans Blue Mountain lager + Morgans LME = yum.
I've found Coopers Real Ale to be a decent base kit for a heavier session ale.
Short vague question, so just a quick response. :icon_cheers:

Back