No Chill, No Cube, Not Cool!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Did a worknight brew last night and let it cool in the kettle as I was to be pitching this morning and couldnt be stuffed cubing it when sleep beckoned.

This morning about halfway through transferring to fermentor I happened to touch the keggle and was suprised how warm it still was ...took a smalll sample for the thermometer...41C. :huh:

Not knowing what to do I completed the transfer and clingwrapped the fermentor, with the rehydrated yeast (Belle Saison) in a seperate vessel also clingwrapped sitting next to it. Planning on pitching when I get home...forecast for 26 here today and the garage ususally stays a bit cool, so should be down to low 20s by then. Was planning on fermenting this one at ambient as my ferm fridge is currently full.

Has anyone left wort in the fermentor for long without pitching yeast? will it be ok to leave clingwrapped rehydrated yeast sitting all day prior to pitching?

Cheers

PS...looking forwward to GABF tomorrow!!!

"should" (YMMV) be OK.. clearly sanitiation of the FV will have been critical, a purge with c02 could be helpful as well..

GABF :beerbang:

Can I get a HELL YEAH!!

I left wort in the fermenter for 2 days before pitching yeast once and the beer turned out fine. I don't rehydrate yeast so can't help you there.

I know a few blokes who do all grain here and leaving it in the fermenter is standard practice. I've been fine with it, they have, and I'm sure you will.

Tou could do it and get away with it for a while. But my cubes were $15 each. For extra piece of mind, 5 mins worth of effort is not a big deal for me.

I leave mine over night to cool from boiling temp all the time. No worries yet. Also leave it on concrete. If u have some co2 you can squirt so in fermenter and fill up from bottom and try to purge the oxygen.

I sometimes cook and leave it covered on the stovetop till morning.

It works fine for me but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else nor would I have dreamed of doing it when I worked in commercial kitchens.

Will it be OK? Possibly. Probably. Possibly not. Your beer, your risk (might become my motto).

I have left improperly sealing cubes for a few days due to necessity - usually in the cold, cold fridge. I'd rather not though. A lot of work for the drain.

Latest posts

Back