No Chill And Myths Of Rapid Chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No chill is the new HSA!. I've been a member here for a while, and there is always some debate going on, this is right, that is wrong etc. My motto is, if it works for you, then obviously it works!!!

Adopt the work-arounds when no-chilling and we can avoid the problems highlighted - doesn't make NC the holy grail. Not sure why people champion this technique so much. Granted it is convenient but it doesn't change the science.

My question wasn't intended to 'champion' no chill over other methods. Having a chiller would be handy sometimes. One day, maybe.

It's the science I was trying to clarify from the oft-quoted myths. Or ascertain if there was a potential logical fallacy of 'denying the antecedent'.

Argument: If it is raining outside, it must be cloudy. It is not raining outside. Therefore, it is not cloudy.
Problem: There does not have to be rain in order for there to be clouds.

Argument: If we rapidly cool, we drop out the cold break and avoid DMS. No chill is not rapid. Therefore your beer will have problems with DMS & cold break.
Edit: And I don't think Brad was suggesting this in his newsletter. But the discussion from different perspectives has been interesting.

Latest posts

Back