No active signs of fermentation Traditional Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, yesterday i made two 5 litre batches of traditional mead. I used white labs sweet mead. Its been just under 24 hours and i still havent noticed any active fermentation. Its also good to note that the yeast i used was about 3 days past its best before date. I am hoping its going to pick up shortly. They were in my garage last night and it is very cold in Melbourne at the moment so i have since moved them in to the house. When should i start worrying about no active signs of fermentation? And if it doesnt can i add more of a different yeast? I would hate for the 3kg of honey i purchased to go to waste. Thanks all
1f642.png
:)

• What's going on with it? The only way to tell if fermentation is occurring is with a hydrometer. If you have followed all the correct protocols - sanitisation, yeast and must prep etc, correct temp, nutrients, then you should be right. It may take a while to kick into gear. Do you have it in a carboy with air lock? What has been the temps?

• What's going on with it? The only way to tell if fermentation is occurring is with a hydrometer. If you have followed all the correct protocols - sanitisation, yeast and must prep etc, correct temp, nutrients, then you should be right. It may take a while to kick into gear. Do you have it in a carboy with air lock? What has been the temps?
Hey mate a week on now it's fermenting very well now and the yeast is steadily doing it's thing :) I degas daily and check hydrometer readings :)

All good then. Just out of interest, what kegging set up do you have?
Will you keg the whole lot? I've only ever bottle carbonated with the swing top variety and am wondering how to step it up a notch.
Thanks

I don't plan to carbonate these meads. I'm going to let them ferment out and age and then put them into little corked wine bottles :)

Yeah cool, I've been wondering what the best way to carbonate well would be - on the cheap. No worries.

Latest posts

Back