No Action In The Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleosaurus cervisiae

Reaction score
Hi All
I made a batch of Oktoberfest from Type 1 FWK (Grain and Grape) plus 200g steeped crystal malt, OG 1045 and used a pack of Wyeast Octoberfest. Pitched at 21oC, but did not give it full three hours to swell up after smacking, as it was getting rather late last night. Instead, I left it only for 2 hours and it did not really swell up at all, but I thought it would be OK. It is now 16 hours later, and nothing is happening, even after a little shake.
Should I just not worry and give it more time, or is there something I should do?
Many thanks

What was the manufacturing date on the packet? you might have underpitched and the yeast will take longer in the lag phase before starting to ferment.

Felten, if I understand correctly, if the lag phase is longer, all I have to do is wait and pray I don't get an infection?

Thanks guys. It is sitting nicely at 22oC and fingers crossed, it will all be fine.
Another question is, when it starts to bubble, what temperature should I keep it at? The instructions on the pack are vague, all they say is keep 18-22 until bubbling starts, then keep at "desired" temperature. I suppose Octoberfest is an ale, so it must be 18-20oC. Right?

If it is wyeast 2633 then it is a lager yeast and you should run it a fair bit cooler than that. I would ferment somewhere between 10-12 degrees.

Plugging March into the pitching rate calc gives around 20% viability, which is pretty low. Next time you should look at making a starter to build up the numbers (or using multiple packs).

Pitching warm helps with increased growth in the lag phase, if you were pitching cold you would have to double the amount of yeast, but it's not a cure for an underpitch.

btw you can check out what strain the numbers relate to, as well as some more detailed instructions here http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain.cfm

I suppose Octoberfest is an ale, so it must be 18-20oC. Right?

Octoberfest beer is a typically a fine german lager, which is why you should ferment around 10 to 12 C as Ross suggests. You can ferment at 22 or so degrees but you will notice a different flavour profile in your beer that may not be to your liking. The keys to a good lager are fresh ingredients, temperature control and patience...

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back