next level?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive just done my first AG BIAB brew.. currently carbed up in the keg now...

I bought my grains cracked and spent plenty of time reading up on the to do list for the day. I was no chilling after 4 hours... I managed to play some PS4 during that time though :)

I personally recommend getting a s/h 40L Birko/Crown urn and taking the plunge. The feeling of making your beer "from scratch" is pretty satisfying and the taste is something special :)

For me to go from kit/extract to AG..

Urn - $120
Balllock kit- $35
thermowell- $30
guage- $30
Bag- $13

so for around $240 you can be producing AG with decent results. Of course you can do it even cheaper, but thats just a breakdown of what i did.

Haha thanks for all the imput guys - i am definitely going to try this one day but i know my limitations right now and wont be able to do it right so best left for another day i think. Not to mention more research needed!

carrollfromwork said:
Haha thanks for all the imput guys - i am definitely going to try this one day but i know my limitations right now and wont be able to do it right so best left for another day i think. Not to mention more research needed!
Research is definitely a good thing, read as much as you can and it makes everything easier and removes the guesswork

It might seem daunting to step into all grain brewing, but once you do you'll wonder why you were worried and why you waited. Just go for it!

It's more time consuming, I'm currently about 4.5 hours start to finish (doing a 90 min mash and 90 min boil), but once you've done a few batches and have your processes worked out a lot of that time becomes downtime where you can do other things. Have a stopwatch/alarm to make sure you get back to your brew when needed.

It took me 6 brews till I stopped stressing about what I needed to be doing during all that downtime.

But It took me only 1 brew to wonder why I'd waited so long.

Latest posts

Back