News Article - Liquid Bans To Be Lifted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About bloody time. Goddamn ridiculous "security" measure

And here's why: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008...wo_classes.html

"There are two classes of contraband at airport security checkpoints: the class that will get you in trouble if you try to bring it on an airplane, and the class that will cheerily be taken away from you if you try to bring it on an airplane. This difference is important: Making security screeners confiscate anything from that second class is a waste of time. All it does is harm innocents; it doesn't stop terrorists at all."

"If some copycat terrorists try to bring their liquid bomb through airport security and the screeners catch them -- like they caught me with my bottle of pasta sauce -- the terrorists can simply try again. They can try again and again. They can keep trying until they succeed."

About bloody time. Goddamn ridiculous "security" measure

As an ex-rocket scientist (playing with wine is far less stressful than playing with bombs) I can tell you they were not ridiculous. 500mL of a liquid could drop a plane out of the sky if you knew what to use. Three years ago they could not be detected.

So rather than bleat your ignorance how about a raising a glass to the hardworking scientists who have plugged this hole in our security. :icon_cheers:

"If some copycat terrorists try to bring their liquid bomb through airport security and the screeners catch them -- like they caught me with my bottle of pasta sauce -- the terrorists can simply try again. They can try again and again. They can keep trying until they succeed."

Yep.

As an ex-rocket scientist (playing with wine is far less stressful than playing with bombs) I can tell you they were not ridiculous. 500mL of a liquid could drop a plane out of the sky if you knew what to use. Three years ago they could not be detected.

So rather than bleat your ignorance how about a raising a glass to the hardworking scientists who have plugged this hole in our security. :icon_cheers:

But 5 bottles of 100mL each of the same liquid -wouldn't- drop the same plane out of the sky?

Way to miss the point, and be needlessly insulting, all in one go.

I salute anyone involved in airport security & customs control. Honestly I haven't come across a bad one yet.
But going through all those checks with baby bottles and formulaes in see-thru plastic ziplock bags was very frustrating.

End of the day I just want my duty free single malt and cointreau.
For the time being, at least you can prebuy it and have it ready for pickup at Sydney airport when you return from O/S.

I salute anyone involved in airport security & customs control. Honestly I haven't come across a bad one yet.
But going through all those checks with baby bottles and formulaes in see-thru plastic ziplock bags was very frustrating.

End of the day I just want my duty free single malt and cointreau.
For the time being, at least you can prebuy it and have it ready for pickup at Sydney airport when you return from O/S.

Actually, I reckon I have some bad news for you there mate - the article says: "The federal government has announced that new advanced explosive detection equipment will be installed at Australia's international airports by 2013."

Thing is, until Thailand gets the same equipment, the Aussie government will still be insisting that duty free bottles of scotch be confiscated before you get to the departure lounge at bangkok airport

Outbound might be smoother - but they already allow the sealed duty free bags as carryon on outbound flights.

But 5 bottles of 100mL each of the same liquid -wouldn't- drop the same plane out of the sky?

Way to miss the point, and be needlessly insulting, all in one go.

I responded to your original comment pre-edit. The insult directed at that post stands. :icon_cheers:

5 x 100mL bottles would be more likely to trigger suspicion than 1 x 500mL.

No one would ever think of putting 5 terrorists on a plane, each with 100ml ... you'd need the services of a rocket scientist to come up with that kind of brilliance.

These terrorists are stupid - I mean, how easy is it to hijack 4 planes simultaneously with boxcutters?

duty free bottles of scotch

screw all the 'duty free'... I want my Thai moonshine I make a wicked punch out of.. cant remember the last time I forked out for 'duty free' bollox...

Im usually carting it all in from the (Thai) 7/11 :lol:

Duty free in Australia was more expensive than the tourist-trap corner store in Hawaii for Jim Beam. Didn't I feel ripped off!

Duty free in Australia was more expensive than the tourist-trap corner store in Hawaii for Jim Beam. Didn't I feel ripped off!

I once heard Coopers Pale Ale can be purchased cheaper in New York than it can in Australian bottle shops.

Our excise needs to **** off and die.

Actually, I reckon I have some bad news for you there mate - the article says: "The federal government has announced that new advanced explosive detection equipment will be installed at Australia's international airports by 2013."

Thing is, until Thailand gets the same equipment, the Aussie government will still be insisting that duty free bottles of scotch be confiscated before you get to the departure lounge at bangkok airport

Outbound might be smoother - but they already allow the sealed duty free bags as carryon on outbound flights.
Yeah I'm aware of that leg of the journey. Cheers.
I love how you can freely buy duty free in BKK, only to find at the gate it will be confiscated (and resold or enjoyed by the happy airport staff at the weekly drinks).

screw all the 'duty free'... I want my Thai moonshine I make a wicked punch out of.. cant remember the last time I forked out for 'duty free' bollox...

Im usually carting it all in from the (Thai) 7/11 :lol:
Haha, had one the other night. A bottle of dodgy Mekhong Whiskey (or whatever it's called,,, the red & yellow label one).
Bought in the convenience store for 120-ish baht, lovingly wrapped in some singha/tiger/chang tshirts, and stowed in the centre of my suitcase. Too easy.
Rough as guts (it really needs coke), but a way cool souvineer!

I responded to your original comment pre-edit. The insult directed at that post stands. :icon_cheers:

No edits. Just evidence to back up my original comment.

Your original arrogant response is still wrong. WTF does you being an ex-rocket scientist have to do with anything?

I was travelling through the US a couple of years after 9/11 and had to endure long and painful security measures on every leg. I mentioned it to an American colleague. His response was "if it stops one more attack, and especially if I'm on the plane that they stop, then its all worth it." I changed my perspective after that.

These measures have been in place for years now. If you are too stupid to understand that more than 100 mL is not allowed then you deserve to have your products confiscated.

if you lost your family on a hijacked plane, you wouldn't be complaining about losing a bottle of scotch.

No one would ever think of putting 5 terrorists on a plane, each with 100ml ... you'd need the services of a rocket scientist to come up with that kind of brilliance.

These terrorists are stupid - I mean, how easy is it to hijack 4 planes simultaneously with boxcutters?

Convincing 5 terrorists to board a plane and die is a big call. It is 5 times harder than convincing 1 to do it. Contrary to belief, people in third world countries don't line up to be human bombs, there is manipulation at work. If something can reduce the risk of letting it happen low enough that manual surveillance can do the rest, then thats what anyone sensibly managing risk will do.

If someone had to really blow up a plane, they could come up with something really novel and plant it on an unsuspecting mule. Its all doable. Point is to minimize the risks. What stops you from getting shot outside your house? anyone can do it... but thankfully, you live in Australia, not Zimbabwe or something. It can still happen, but you minimize the risk.

I've always been amazed they didn't ban carry on duty free altogether. It can be used in oh so many ways... A terrorist with a 'boxcutter' can certainly commandeer enough duty free on an aircraft to bring it down.

I once heard Coopers Pale Ale can be purchased cheaper in New York than it can in Australian bottle shops.

Our excise needs to **** off and die.

Bundy Ginger Beer is cheaper in Singapore than I can get it here in Bundy...

QldKev

Latest posts

Back