Newbie with a recepie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westozah

Reaction score
Gday. Love the site. Heres a brew i have been doing since discovering the delights of using LDM instead of brew enhancers/dex. Easy as and tastes great.

Coopers Pale ale can
1kg LDM
500gm Capilano orange blossom honey
15gm Pride of ringwood hop bag, steeped 10 mins, add bag to fermenter

I left this in the fermenter for two weeks. Crash cooled in fridge for second week. Drinking extremely well after just one month in bottle and nice head retention. Suprisingly has notes of belgian ale (duvel) taste to it.
Brewing a new one at the moment using 1kg of wheat malt instead of LDM. Also threw in 15gm Cascade teabag and 15gm amarillo teabag instead of POR.

Cheers,

Andrew

Give it a burl next time using US-05 dry yeast, and ferment as close to 18 degrees as you can...it's worth the extra $5 or so...

And good work on the Cascade/Amarillo combination, bloody great hops those...

Yeah thought it might give a bit of a citrus hit. Plus it's bloody true what they say about hops...theyre like chilli...the more you use the more you want!

Another little tip....... buy some fresh hops from one of the retailers on AHB and invest $80 on a vacuum sealer on evilbay. Use the fresh hops instead of the tbags and you will be amazed at the difference. Reseal whats left and freeze...... they will last years in vacuum sealed frozen conditions.

Hops fine aroma's are very volatile and they stale quickly and easily when exposed to air.

I think your almost ready for extract brewing!

Ditch the kits, get a cheap 20L pot and hop your own extract brews from scratch.

I did an all grain Christmas ale with a mate late last year, but too time consuming and I dont have the coin to setup yet. Must admit I have certainly been toying with doing an extract brew. Good idea on the hops, I was even thinking of growing a few varieties myself. Might try that US-05 yeast on the next brew. Cheers guys.

westozah said:
Gday. Love the site. Heres a brew i have been doing since discovering the delights of using LDM instead of brew enhancers/dex. Easy as and tastes great.

Coopers Pale ale can
1kg LDM
500gm Capilano orange blossom honey
15gm Pride of ringwood hop bag, steeped 10 mins, add bag to fermenter

I left this in the fermenter for two weeks. Crash cooled in fridge for second week. Drinking extremely well after just one month in bottle and nice head retention. Suprisingly has notes of belgian ale (duvel) taste to it.
Brewing a new one at the moment using 1kg of wheat malt instead of LDM. Also threw in 15gm Cascade teabag and 15gm amarillo teabag instead of POR.

Cheers,

Andrew
Update - Tasted the batch I made using the wheat malt, Amarillo and cascade hops whilst bottling yesterday. Good wheaty flavour and lovely floral citrus hoppy aftertaste. Even the wife got excited. I noticed with the wheat malt it doesn't seem to be as heavy when compared with the previous batch using standard light dry malt. Is this normal?

The big difference I found with wheat additions was head retention, nice creamy lacing head, not noticed a lighter body but havnt tried that exact blend of ingredients.

Back