Newbie carb concern

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davethebrewer

Reaction score
Hi all
Looking for some reassurance! I bottled a Weiss beer 6 days ago at an estimated 3.8 vol of carbonation.
I know it's early days but was keen for a taste, I put two bottles in fridge yesterday, one was a random the other was the last bottle filled, the last bottle had probably 50mm of headspace..I poured the last bottle first, into a glass from the freezer, had heaps of carb, tasted pretty good but a little green I guess.
Second bottle poured into now room temp glass, very little carbonation, tasted same just no fizz..
I bulk primed, and stirred up before bottling, but my dex mix was pretty syrupy..thinking I should thin it out more next time?
Anyways I'm worried I have cocked the carb bit up? Or is it too early to call? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Cheers
Dave

Leave it for 2 weeks mate. A good thing to do after week one is give the bottles a quick shake. Some people invert them.

The brown ale I brew, 2 weeks still a bit flat, 3 weeks better, 4-5 weeks best. Don't put in fridge till 4-5 weeks or at least don't share till then. You don't want to give your mates a flat brew.
(I use carb drops in bottles).

If you do want to try them after 2 weeks, put them in the fridge for 2 days, generally kills a bit of the green taste off by putting the yeast to sleep. I don't bulk prime, but am warming to the idea, so good work for giving it a shot on your first brew.

3 weeks is optimal I find, depending on hops - less hoppy beers seem to stay greener for longer I find, probably cuz the bitterness overlaps the green flavours.

Well it's been 2.5 weeks in the bottle now, put one in the fridge, opened up and flat as a tack...... They are grolsch style bottles, thinking of throwing a carb drop in each one? I've got them in a big plastic bin so if there are any bombs then they will be contained. Any thoughts peoples??

Not much experience with grolschies but heard it said that ring can compact and negate seal. Temp of storage?

Hi Vin
I think seals are good, all other batches have been ok, still get a little "psst"? When I open. I'm on goldie so average temp around 18-20 I guess at this time of year.
Cheers
Dave

Vini2ton said:
Not much experience with grolschies but heard it said that ring can compact and negate seal. Temp of storage?
Don't know about others, but I've been bottling with grolsch bottles for years, still with original seals and no carb dramas for me.

Without looking at my notes it was ballpark 250g from memory, whatever beersmith had calculated for the 3.8 vol, I'm pretty sure my problem is not having enough water to mix with, when I poured into bottling bucket, it was like syrup, some got left behind I'm sure, I gave a good stir with racking cane but not good enough it would appear. I bottled another Wiess on weekend, same carb vol but this time had prob 3x water in dex mix, I'm assuming it mixed in a lot better.?

3.8 vol seems excessive, Beersmith suggests 2.2 - 2.8.

If the dex wasn't properly dissolved you will need to be careful with some bottles possibly being very overcarbonated.

Yes , a lot of confusing info on carb level for a Weiss ....but went with 3.8....or so I thought.....I think I'm just gonna get some carb drops tomorrow and see what happens.... I will update in a couple of weeks I guess..

Latest posts

Back