New WA home brewer saying Gday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pie man

Reaction score
Gday fellow brewers, Im very new to the game of beer brewing and reckon its a great hobby so far. Ive made a couple of brews with extracts bought at my local hbrew supplier TWOC......think they have gone OK but i havent tasted the finished product yet. I have a few questions for other Perth/Freo based brewers, the main one being where do you get hop rhizomes from? I would like to try growing them, they smell awesome and i assume home grown hops would be good for beer!Also there are mixed reports on dogs eating them, does anyone have dogs that are not interested in eating hops. Cheers Pie Man.

G'Day Pieman welcome to the slippery slope of brewing.
I have some cascade and pride of ringwood plants that I've grown for several years with no interest shown by my dog.
I will be digging out the excess rhizomes in the near future and usually offer them up to Perth AHB members so send me a pm if you are interested.

Hi hippy, thats good news about the dog. All i have to do now is get permission from my missus. Ill be in touch, thanks.

As my young employees would say 2ez

More specifically, what is the breed of your dog? Brewers should seek a dog that is hop compatible rather than hops that are dog compatible.

Hello Pie Man

Please be very careful with your hops and dogs, hops can be fatal even in small quantities to certain breeds, Greyhounds in particular, mine eat anything, roses they eat the flower whole (idiots). I grow my hops in big pots behind high plastic mesh to keep them out.

Welcome and good luck with the brewing its the best hobby.

My dog is a labradoodle. She is not a guts by any means but tends to chew on the odd thing occasionally.

Welcome pieman! Regarding WA hop supplies, here's an excerpt from an email I received back from Karridale Cottages and Hop Farm. They will be digging up and selling rhizomes shortly. Also try the West Aussie Brew Crew forum, http://westaussiebrewcrew.com, there maybe someone there who is happy to share rhizomes. Importing from the east is too costly because of quarantine requirements.

Karridale Cottages email reply:

Thanks for your enquiry. We will definitely put you on our list for rhizomes come June! We will not be sure about varieties we will have until we dig up, but things are looking really good for the following:
-Cascade
-Perle
-Goldings
-Hallertau
-Hersbrucker
-Cluster
-Pemberton "wild harvest"

All rhizomes will be $25 plus postage.

We will keep you posted once early spring rolls around and we get digging!

Cheers,
Trey
Karridale Cottages and Hop Farm

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 May 2016, at 7:36 pm, [email protected] wrote:

You have a new message:
Via: http://www.karridalecottages.com.au/

Latest posts

Back