New To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably should I dont, I'd imagine u'd have to be bloody unlucky to get an infection.

OCC said:
should i clean the tap every time i take a sample??????

Yep, I think you should.

The reason I haven't had an infection due to this is because I do clean the tap.

A mate's dad who gave me one of my first "real" fermenters couldn't emphasise this more...I always assumed this advice came from a bad experience.

PZ.

thats another one i owe ya fingerlickin!!!!!!
p.s thanx for the link... B)

You'd only infect a few bottles until it flushes out.
I get ants, cockies & mould if I don't clean.
Spray bottle of metho does the trick.

I usually only do 3 readings - pre boil, post boil & pre bottle.
I never open the fermenter but I know what to expect and when to worry if it goes wrong. After a few batches it becomes second nature. :chug:

apd said:
3. Depends on the type of yeast, conditions, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. 25*C is a bit high, especially for a lager yeast. Try to get it down to 20*C at least, if not more. Not sure about finnings. Never used them myself.

[post="92375"][/post]​

Most kits don't use a lager yeast tho

Haha, ok...gotta' stop posting when I'm drinking :lol:

Back to the topic at hand...

PZ.

shmickvl said:
well at least it smells like beer at the moment :D

Good...very good.

Does it smell like warm VB poured out of a can onto the lawn?

Seroiusly, if it does then your doing fine :beer:

PZ.

The other way you can go is to collect one sample at the start & do all your readings on that. It will ferment at the same rate as the brew & if you're careful you wont contaminate it. Just leave the lid loose to let CO2 escape. ;)

so has anyone on here or any other site ever made a foolproof guide for beginners?? one thats easy to understand?? or is it easily picked up by the second batch?

does it become second nature after a few??

also, sorry for buggin yas:

does a brew become weaker if you put in too much water, or does it stuff the whole process??

One way of making a light ale

the beginners guide is called trial and error and yes is dose come easier the more batches you do.. ^_^ ^_^

shmickvl said:
so has anyone on here or any other site ever made a foolproof guide for beginners?? one thats easy to understand?? or is it easily picked up by the second batch?

does it become second nature after a few??
[post="92454"][/post]​

http://www.howtobrew.com/

I use Pre-injection alcohol swabs. About $6 for a pack of 200 at the chemist. After sampling or prior to racking, clean in and around the tap. Definately take a reading every day. Even if just for the tasting.

VL, there are a dozen different ways to do every step, so people can only tell you what they do, it is up to you to decide which way works best for you based on your own priorities, equipment and conditions. You pick it up pretty quickly.

Regarding the hydrometer readings, another way to take good readings without disturbing the tap is to sanitise the hydrometer and place it directly in the fermenter. After high krausen (the foamy stage) there is usually a nice clean surface on the wort. Just do it carefully and remember there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the wort that you don't want to disturb if you can avoid it.

Personally I think it's easier to sanitise a hydrometer than it is to sanitise a plastic tap, and the taps quickly become unuseable anyway (they all point up on my fermenters!) but to each their own. Remember if you do use the tap you need to remove the airlock or loosen the lid, otherwise draining any wort from the fermenter will suck air and bugs in through the airlock.

another good reason to take an OG sample at pitching is so you can see in three days time if nothing has happened. Gives you one last chance to pitch some more yeast.
cheers
Darren

Dr Gonzo said:
I use Pre-injection alcohol swabs. About $6 for a pack of 200 at the chemist. After sampling or prior to racking, clean in and around the tap. Definately take a reading every day. Even if just for the tasting.
[post="92480"][/post]​

Get any funny looks at the chemist??? hehe :p But of course, being Dr Gonzo, I guess you don't really need to go the chemist...

Good idea though. I have actually never had any infection probs without sterilising the tap (although I get a bit worried about it each time when it comes to bottling). I make sure it is wiped clean with a tissue. In the future I will either try the alcohol swabs or just splash a bit of iodophor up the tap's nozzle.

Latest posts

Back