New Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Standing around talking to my better half this morning and the doorbell rings "Oh, I bet that is for you" she quips.

Go out and it is the postal delivery contract bloke with one of these

I have been meaning to build an electric PID controlled smoker for ages, but other things just kept coming up, I guess she got sick of missing out on smoked brisket and ribs like we used to have when we lived in the USA.

I had wondered why she bought four packs of frozen pork ribs this week, now I know why.

Now, I am set!

I'll get some other pics up as soon as I can.

Let me know what you think of this unit FJ - I've been thinking about buying one for a while.

Your missus is tops!

Very nice FJ. The other day my A-MAZE-N cold smoker from misty gully arrived. Looking forward to giving it a bash next week on some bacon.

Cheers SJ

I've been wanting a smoker fir ages. I've just got enough saved fir one of these units but I was going to use tge $ to start making a HERMS conversion. Decisions decisions 

Got one of the first lot landed in the country about this time last year, absolutely love it :wub:. If you want some pointers FJ give us a holler. The main thing I can recommend is get the pellets they seem to work the best.

If you are thinking about getting one get it now as they are $350 and there were only 10 left when I got the email about the special. I paid about $550 for mine <_< .

So I should get one? I've got tge birthday $...

Tough decision there CM. Put it this way, if I had to choose - still can make beer without the HERMS. You wont find another digitally controlled unit at this price again also.

Your call and a tough one.

No affiliation of course, just a very happy epicurean.

;)

thats great, be waiting for some photo's of it in action, I was just trying to find a 44 gal drum, used for food, to make an ugly drum smoker.

How cool is that!

Please share your methodology for 'dropping hints'.
You're clearly working at an advanced level.

Got one of the first lot landed in the country about this time last year, absolutely love it :wub:. If you want some pointers FJ give us a holler. The main thing I can recommend is get the pellets they seem to work the best.

If you are thinking about getting one get it now as they are $350 and there were only 10 left when I got the email about the special. I paid about $550 for mine <_< .

Good tip about the pellets, I was using chips for my first attempt at smoking ribs at 70c and they just did not smoke up decently. I found that if I got them smoking using a gas torch first and then put them in they did OK. I'll get the pellets and give it a try though.

Other than that, 4 hours for the ribs and they were tender as, just not quite smokey enough.

Looking forward to trying a beef brisket and pork shoulder. Yum.

Another thing FJ you need to start off at around 90deg to get a good smoke happening. You can wind it back after the smoke dies down which is generally about an hour on pellets. The good thing about the pellets is you only need a 1/3 cup at a time. I found only 1 dose does it just nicely for smokieness, sometimes 2 on bigger cuts. Just don't go too heavy with smoke as it can make the food go bitter.

HTH

Sully

Well, I'm not sure what the missus is going to say when my new smoker turns up at the door, but I am going to blame you fraser_john! It would be great if some of the guys that have one could post some of their favourite recipes so I can win her over with some meaty/smokey goodness.

cheers

Browndog

Well, I'm not sure what the missus is going to say when my new smoker turns up at the door, but I am going to blame you fraser_john! It would be great if some of the guys that have one could post some of their favourite recipes so I can win her over with some meaty/smokey goodness.

cheers

Browndog

Did you get the same unit BD? Don't worry, it only took 1 meal cooked in it to convince the boss that it was a worthy purchase. And you will have a lot of fun cooking with it.

Currently doing a 12hr slow roast lamb with a mix of Hickory, Onion & Garlic pellets... :icon_drool2:

Will post some pics this evening.

Cheers

Sully

Browndog,
Bonj did some mullet at winkles Sat night I thought it was really good. Im sure he'd share. If fish is also a concideration that is.
Daz

Did you get the same unit BD? Don't worry, it only took 1 meal cooked in it to convince the boss that it was a worthy purchase. And you will have a lot of fun cooking with it.

Currently doing a 12hr slow roast lamb with a mix of Hickory, Onion & Garlic pellets... :icon_drool2:

Will post some pics this evening.

Cheers

Sully

Yes I got that $350 one on special mate. Looking forward to using it! Daz, I've got a small smoker that I've done fish in before, the missus loves it.

cheers

Browndog

as promised a picture of 12hr Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb in the smoker, the meat literally falls off the bone... :icon_drool2:

268485_10150252303688187_579648186_7326219_4413446_n.jpg

Back