New shanks don't fit!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat B

Reaction score
I'm building a keezer and today went to install my taps. I have 2 brumby style taps that were used on a tower on my old kegerator. Thanks to the generosity of malt junkie I now have some new shanks so I can mount it to the keezer collar. Only issue is, they don't fit for a few reasons.

The new shanks have a much shallower concave section inside, whereas my old short ones it's pretty deep. This means my tap's spring are too big. Also, my old shanks have a rubber seal/grommet that seals against the tap when screwed together. The longer shanks don't have this, and I can screw the collar further than it should go (without the spring, which is too big to even get the shank and tap near each other). It clearly doesn't seal.

I guess my question is; can you get parts from somewhere like Keg King that will solve this, or am I destined to buy new shanks or taps?

Here's a few pics for reference.

Cheers hombres!

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

Sorry, looks like this came through twice. Ignore this second thread. I don't know how to delete.

Other post was deleted.

I'd ditch the springs, or cut em down if you feel really attached to them, I reused an old tap from a keg king setup on a ball lock adapter without the spring and it works fine.

Or get some new forward sealing taps too :)

If you don't want to recover that rubber ring off the old shank, go to bunnings you can go for a o-ring from the plumbing dept, 18mm I think was closest, or get a cheap plastic tap like yer fermenter has from the camping section and re-purpose the rubber bit, which is what I ended up doing.

It's weird they leave that bit out and there's no mention of it.

Latest posts

Back