New Purchase - Wash Copper - Advice Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nguzowski

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I purchased this wash copper a few weeks ago to use as a brew kettle. It is a Wilson, and it has a coated copper pot, 2 elements, and a drain which used to have a pipe leading to a side tap, which I have subsequently removed. I have tested it filled with the equivalent water for a single batch and it comes to a nice rolling boil within an hour.

I am doing some preparations and need some advice about making it brew ready/safe. Like I said, I have removed (part of) the pipe from the underside to find that it was completely rusted out inside. I had difficulties budging it, so I heated it with a kitchen blow torch, and got to it with a pipe wrench. It cracked under the heat and came off. There is still an elbow end connected to the drain piece which seems to be stuck. I would like to remove this piece and connect a new pipe piece running out to a ball valve. What do you guys recommend? Copper elbow and piping soldered on with silver solder? Obviously once I figure out how to remove the elbow...

I also have concerns about the drain piece. It looks like there could be some rust inside the drain piece. Does the drain need to be replaced or is it sufficient to clean it out?

Also lastly, should I have concerns about the seals (particularly around the drain piece and the elements) for lead?

I didn't know this purchase would require this much work! Damn piping. Oh well, labour of love I suppose...

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nick

outside_view.JPG

pot.JPG

photo3.JPG

tag.JPG

drain.JPG

pipe_cracked.JPG

pipe_underside.JPG

side.JPG

element_seal.JPG

These skin fittings might help. Also try and get some ss pipe or brass allthread as iron in brewing is not good, so i have been led to believe.

edit: make some gaskets out of a $2 shop silicone bakeware

cheers matho

I have just recently converted a stainless model similar to a mash tun, and am on to a second.
Remove the elbow using 2x Stilson wrenches. Put one on the inside or you mite tear the copper with a shear twist from the bowl.
Replace with 3/4 copper althread, 2x flat faced nuts w/ silicone washer (old baby bottle nipple).
1x 3/4' compression elbow + 1x compression male with 3/4' copper or ss pipe (old keg spear is perfect)
1x ballvalve

Not much to offer on the lead issue.
Mine are both stainless, tho I have a big 25g dairy copper that I wanna turn into a HLT, so I'm interested in others thoughts on this.

I've seen advice to say dont drink hot water from a leaded system. That'd be mostly from the pipe work I imagine. Is there a cheap test?

Hi Guys,

I purchased this wash copper a few weeks ago to use as a brew kettle. It is a Wilson, and it has a coated copper pot, 2 elements, and a drain which used to have a pipe leading to a side tap, which I have subsequently removed. I have tested it filled with the equivalent water for a single batch and it comes to a nice rolling boil within an hour.

I am doing some preparations and need some advice about making it brew ready/safe. Like I said, I have removed (part of) the pipe from the underside to find that it was completely rusted out inside. I had difficulties budging it, so I heated it with a kitchen blow torch, and got to it with a pipe wrench. It cracked under the heat and came off. There is still an elbow end connected to the drain piece which seems to be stuck. I would like to remove this piece and connect a new pipe piece running out to a ball valve. What do you guys recommend? Copper elbow and piping soldered on with silver solder? Obviously once I figure out how to remove the elbow...

I also have concerns about the drain piece. It looks like there could be some rust inside the drain piece. Does the drain need to be replaced or is it sufficient to clean it out?

Also lastly, should I have concerns about the seals (particularly around the drain piece and the elements) for lead?

I didn't know this purchase would require this much work! Damn piping. Oh well, labour of love I suppose...

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nick
Hi Nick,

I was in the process of of cleaning up an old copper myself several years ago but we moved interstate before I had time to finish it. Consequently some of the parts ended up in my odd bods collection. I have this Stainless Steel drain pipe & tap that's in great condition apart from needing a good clean. The thread on the flange section is about 1" in diameter and you would need to get a nut to fit it. From the centre of the flange to the start of the tap thread is about 81/4", and to the end of the tap about 101/4". If you get the old broken piece out & think it will fit, you can have it for the cost of postage.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Cheers

Matho and Anofre, cheers for the advice. I will look into these parts.

Real_beer, looks like the kind of piece that I would need. Let me do my measurements and see if I can fit it. Do u have an idea of what the postage cost to Sydney (2066) would be?

Cheers,

Nick

Matho and Anofre, cheers for the advice. I will look into these parts.

Real_beer, looks like the kind of piece that I would need. Let me do my measurements and see if I can fit it. Do u have an idea of what the postage cost to Sydney (2066) would be?

Cheers,

Nick

It weighs about 550gms so would have to go in a 3kg Aust Post satchel for $11.20

Back