New National Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi
The IBUs (Illawarra Brewers Union) would like to run a National Craftbrewers Competition and we need feedback from all Craftbrewers out there if you are interested in entering.
Next weekend is a two-day festival at Thirroul, (northern suburbs of Wollongong). Called The Thirroul Seaside Festival it has a huge local sponsorship with TV, paper and radio advertising and editorial.
We feel we have the ability and people to run a national competition, (last year and this year we are running the NSW State Competition.)
The organisers are interested and the Craftbrewers in Australia can have another Major competition to enter.
We know this competition will be close to the Bathurst competition, being 4 weeks difference. If you feel its too close to Australias major competition let us know.
Ray
:D

Great idea Ray, you will definately get a few entries from me. I don't think it makes any difference how close it is to the Baturst comp, and if you can get the publicity that you say then it could well turn into the biggest comp in Australia :party: .

Please keep us informed of developements as they happen.

regards
Andrew

Close competitions are good. I am slowly learning that if you are serious about a competition, you need to brew specifically for it, at the right time for the beer to peak at the competition. So the closer together in time the better I reckon.

sounds good ray.im interested and also cant see any problem being close to the bathurst comp.

cheers
dave

I know it is early days Ray but would you be looking at using the same judging guidelines as are used in the state and national competitions?

I too would be interested BTW.

C&B
TDA

Would give some of the guys studying to become BJCP Judges an actual opportunity to get accreditation points too... ;)

I'd enter something.
Asher for now

Hi Ray

This is only my opinion... 2Cents inserted into AHB....

I would have the new comp approx 6months before/after the Bathurst Comp.

My Reasoning is as follows:

This gives brewers six months from one competition to the other in which they will have time to:
- act on feedback from the comp.
- time to brew again taking stock of/incorporating the feedback they received
- the standard should get higher as everyone will be making better beer with the feedback that they receive.
- should also allow better sponsorship as the the two comps will not be held 2 close together and therefore competing for the same sponsorship dollars.Especially as Bathurst and Woolongong are in the same state and not that geographically far apart...
- the BJCP guidelines are good - but i think their needs to be a better enhancement/development/incorporation of the Australian styles - both past and present.

Beer For Thought....

Hi
The six months before Bathurst is the State run competitions. leading to the nationals. No need for a big Competition at that time.
Someone has to put their hand up and make a change. Why re-invent the wheel with guidelines when they have been done over many years by the BJCP.
Now that we have a number of brewers studying the BJCP, this gives the Australian craftbrewer a chance to enter beers and be judged by some, I am not saying all, BJCP judges, to BJCP guidlines.
It will not happen over nite, it will take many years for the Australian Nationals to accept the guidlines.
The good news is we now we have better local grains, imported grains, imported yeast and a much more educated craftbrewer through the net than we did say 5 years ago.
With this, we can now make beers as good as any craftbrewer in any country. The standard of beers now entering State, National and Bathurst is very good and excellent, not by a hand full of brewers but my dozens from around the country.
With this information we can run a competition with some and not all of the BJCP guidlines as a starting point.
My thoughts
Ray

I'd be all for it... 12 dozen categories covers a hell of a lot of ground too, and we can always enter the same (or a different) beer into the Bathurst one if we wish.

Ray_Mills said:
It will not happen over nite, it will take many years for the Australian Nationals to accept the guidlines.
[post="51713"][/post]​
I have no problem whatsoever having a comp run to BJCP guidelines.

Are you suggesting the current Australian guidelines are somehow inferior to the BJCP ones?

Hi

If you look at the current Australian Guidlines and the BJCP I think you will notice a huge difference.
We do have to be carefull on some styles in the Australian guidelines not in the BJCP.

I believe we have some unique Australian styles

1. Sparkling Ale
2. Australian Pale Ale
3. Australian Lager.

I can't see why we can't have these styles in the long term part of the BJCP guidelines. It will take a lot of work from dedicated Australian brewers but it can be done as we do have the contacts.

Ray.

absolutely love the name sparkling ale.its a dead set classic aussie icon.
now if i could only brew one. ;)

cheers
big d

big d said:
absolutely love the name sparkling ale.its a dead set classic aussie icon.
now if i could only brew one. ;)

cheers
big d
[post="51755"][/post]​

Could not agree more Big D, it says all that is aussie beer.
When you figure how to brew, let me know please

Normell

i also like the idea of an Australian wheat, esp as there is now a couple of Honey wheats being made in Aus..Bees Nees, cascade have made one as well, .

maybe an aus bitter - along the lines of the original Ballarat Bertie Bitter.

Just thoughts and ideas....

I've been searching for a description of the Australian styles, can someone point me to where I can find them, or are they still in development?

Thanks

Thanks sosman. The vicbrew ones are what I'm looking for.

I might integrate them into my BJCP guides in beersmith. A shame they don't go to the same detail as the BJCP like OG/FG & IBUs.

WillM said:
Thanks sosman. The vicbrew ones are what I'm looking for.

I might integrate them into my BJCP guides in beersmith. A shame they don't go to the same detail as the BJCP like OG/FG & IBUs.
[post="99279"][/post]​
My personal opinion, and I know this is not shared by at least one member of the Vicbrew committee, is that we should work with the BJCP to add the unique Australian substyles to the BJCP guidelines and then use them.

I would encourage you to contact your state representatives with your views on this.

Have to agree with Sosman, great idea.

tdh

Back