New National Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if there are any Australian Styles written in such a way, in terms of detail and format, that could slot into the BJCP guidelines?

Thanks for these links, very educational.

Given it's the time of year for beer, I put some thought into how I would organise things, naively thinking it would be and easy job. (I'm no expert of beer judge, just thought it would be a good way to understand the styles better).

At first I thought, the BJCP was all mixed up, starting with yeasts, then colours then moving into marketing names and countries. As I came to understand it more, I can appreciate great job they have done.

So here are my thoughts for any gurus out there:
a) American Lager & Premium could almost read Australian - without stretching the imagination too far.
B) Add in a few local categories, where the judges believe there is an interest
c) Just build on the great work that has been done here, letting our styles fit in with the other great beer countries, and in time advertising them to the world.

Here's how I tried to break it down, might be of some use to someone (assuming I can get an attachment to work).

Anyway thanks again and good luck with the comps and more importantly the beers.

Will

edit - can't get an attachment to work

yeah ill be in for sure
makes no difference to me how close comps are
the more feedback i get about my beers the better
cheers :chug:

Consider the BJCP guidelines a starting point. They are written after great care and consideration of worldwide examples of style, both current and historic. They are simply a target and common language for the brewer and judge to have a meaningful evaluation discussion.

They are not a comprehensive set of every style brewed, nor are they a limit to brewer creativity. They do evolve, with styles added and dropped in each update.

At the very least, many competitions write a new style for entry. Here is probabaly the best example of how creativity can be encouraged, while having a lot of fun!

http://www.crunchyfrog.net/dixiecup/index.phtml My favorites were the "Big and Stupid" and the "Malt Liquor" categories.

This competition routinely asks for more than what's in the BJCP guidelines.

The addition of styles that are Australian, whether formally or informally, is a natural part of this evolution, IMHO.

Kev.

Kevin said:
Consider the BJCP guidelines a starting point. They are written after great care and consideration of worldwide examples of style, both current and historic. They are simply a target and common language for the brewer and judge to have a meaningful evaluation discussion.

They are not a comprehensive set of every style brewed, nor are they a limit to brewer creativity. They do evolve, with styles added and dropped in each update.

At the very least, many competitions write a new style for entry. Here is probabaly the best example of how creativity can be encouraged, while having a lot of fun!

http://www.crunchyfrog.net/dixiecup/index.phtml My favorites were the "Big and Stupid" and the "Malt Liquor" categories.

This competition routinely asks for more than what's in the BJCP guidelines.

The addition of styles that are Australian, whether formally or informally, is a natural part of this evolution, IMHO.

Kev.
[post="100509"][/post]​
Hey that works for me. The challenge is for us aussies to get some agreement on a style or two that is pretty close to some folk's heart.

In an attempt to move have (yet another) go at this can be found at http://brewiki.org/AussieStyles/Sparkling_Ale. It has prompted a fascinating discussion of the history of the style over on another forum.

paul

PS this thread was started some time ago and I don't actually know what happened to the comp that was proposed.

So looks (to me) like the way to run a comp. is to choose a few BJCP styles that are popular (or have an interest) in the area (of the comp), add a couple of australian ones, and away we go.

In the end we have good guidelines and we get to make better beer.

Just give me some styles and some dates, and I'll start brewing! Booya!

Latest posts

Back