New Mash Tun, Coleman 38 Litre.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velophile

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm gearing up my AG equipment & bought a Coleman 10 gal / 38 litre cooler.
Simular to this one - Coleman_outside.jpeg The inside view - coleman_inside.jpeg

I tested a Phils Phalse bottom at G&G and it won't work. The tap/hole is recessed but not quite enough for the phalse bottom to cover it. Also the shape is all wrong & it wouldn't sit right.

Anyone using a Coleman cooler like this? any ideas?

Hi guys,
I'm gearing up my AG equipment & bought a Coleman 10 gal / 38 litre cooler.
Simular to this one - View attachment 8067 The inside view - View attachment 8068

I tested a Phils Phalse bottom at G&G and it won't work. The tap/hole is recessed but not quite enough for the phalse bottom to cover it. Also the shape is all wrong & it wouldn't sit right.

Anyone using a Coleman cooler like this? any ideas?

G'day Velophile,

I used a slotted copper manifold in my old mash tun for quite a while with good results. They are very easy to make - hell, even I managed it ;) - and would sit nicely in the bottom of that tun. Use a compression fitting and a short length of threaded brass and away you go. Or youcould go stainless if you wanted to spend more money. The bits are all easily available from Bunnings and plumbing supply shops. Palmer's book/site www.howtobrew.com has some excellent tips for designing and building a manifold, along with pics.

Just a thought :) . There are lots of ways to do the job. Good luck with it.

Shawn.

My first MT was a 9 litre version of what you have there. For the the false bottom I bought a cheap plastic chopping board and cut it to the same shape as the inside of the tun - made a coardboard template first.

I then riddled it with 2mm holes and fitted 4 stainless steel bolts to stand it off the bottom. The outlet was below the false bottom. If I can find the pics I'll post them tonight.

Cheers

Ben

Braid ;)

Batz

Velophile

Where and how much did you pick up the cooler for? Just looking at sourcing a mash/lauter tun myself and am also in Melbournetown.

Cheers

Pete

I'm with Gough on the copper slotted manifold. Mine is below and is 1/2 inch tube.

C&B
TDA

Manifold.JPG

I have the same mash tun i also use a copper one clear runnings in 1-2L.

Stagger

Velophile

Where and how much did you pick up the cooler for? Just looking at sourcing a mash/lauter tun myself and am also in Melbournetown.

Cheers

Pete

Hully

I picked it up from Plastics Unlimited in Krispy Kreme land for ~$86 (Fountain Gate, Narre Warren).

They are closing down, so I'd be quick, 30% off everything.

I'm looking for a cooler ATM, thinking a Keep Cold, quoted $110 for 36 or $167.95 for the 54L at Grangers Camping World.

Anyone know a good place to get one cheap?

Cheers,

Sam

I got my 36l Keep Cold esky from A-Mart All Sports for around $85 I believe. That was the only place I could get one in Newcastle. Although I think Mitre 10 have them now.

I'm looking for a cooler ATM, thinking a Keep Cold, quoted $110 for 36 or $167.95 for the 54L at Grangers Camping World.

Anyone know a good place to get one cheap?

Cheers,

Sam

Don't know if BCF (Boating Camping Fishing) have made it to Melbourne yet, but I was just checking out a 38L Keep Cold (round) in Brisbane - $79. Looks the goods.

Cheers
Peter

That is exactly what I use Velophile and to echo the great man - go braid ! There may even be some photos on here showing the setup. It insulates very well - I lose about 1deg over the 60min mash.

Basically, I bought about 600mm of large-ish braid (about 40mm dia unstretched) and looped and clamped it onto a copper tee piece. I use a length of threaded stainless (imported from Nhulamby)with washers in and outside the esky wiht some made-up white rubber washers to seal. I then use a piece of nylon tube to run between the two. I'll see if I can find the photos.

Here's what I use with the Coleman.

Photo attached hopefully....

05_01_2003_05.jpg

Theres a sheet metal place here in Perth called Perfmet who sell stainless steel screen used in the mining industry.
It looks just like the stuff found in professional brew systems. It is exspensive but a small peice for the bottom of your tun would be ideal and not cost alot.

looks good, great size!!

I'm also after a new tun to up the ante on my setup, anyone in Perth got ideas where the 10gal coolers are going cheap? Been quoted $124 at camping store in Midland for a "Coleman! Seems a bit steep to me.

Grab

I just picked one of these up in exchange for a carton of beer :D

What diameter is the length of threaded brass tube that people have mentioned? I presume I need two compression fittings (one for the inside and outside). What about washers? Any chance someone can write me a shopping list? Put it this way I dont even know what a compression fitting is? A nut possibly? Im going to give Goats set-up a go with the braid.
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

If i remember correctly sosman has all this info on his site

Rook

Pardon my ignorance but does the tun have to be a round cooler type or can one use a generic esky? Are all eskys built equal, I was having a conversation with my father in law and he thought putting hot liquide into a esky might damage it??? I to am looking for a tun but would like to use it for other purposes than just a tun and thought a normal rectangle esky with a tap drilled (food grade stainless) into the bottom and thermometer drilled in to the side, would this work???

JCG

That'll work just fine, JCG. Have a look at this site. The gallery on AHB will probably help out too.

Back