New Kit: Coopers European Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this on the Coopers site today:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A NEW BREW!!

Look for EUROPEAN LAGER in variety stores and supermarkets.

Europe is home to a multitude of breweries and as such, boasts a greater variety of beer styles than any other region in the world. Europe , being the birthplace of lager style beer, is considered to be the heartland of premium lager. Coopers European Lager captures the style of the finest quality lagers exported from Northern Europe . Serve well chilled in a tall, narrow glass with a generous head of 5cm or so and savour the herbaceous hop aroma and crisp finish.

For the best results mix with 1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and store for at least 12 weeks in the bottle prior to drinking.

Colour - 90EBC, Bitterness - 340IBU
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't seen it in the stores yet, so I'm guessing it's really new. But has anyone tried it? Or know what kind of yeast it uses?

Linky: http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.p...d=1&id=2188

Probably 340IBU in the can, once you dilute it to ~20L you get 17IBU. The dark 90EBC will fade too.

if you follow the instructions to 23L you get ~15 IBUs. Yawn.

Looks like it set up perfectly for all you toucan brewers...... assuming it actually comes with a lager yeast <_<

is this replacing the Bavarian Lager? At Coles the other day they had 'Discontinued' stuck on the shelf for Bavarian Lager.

just checkedthe Coopers webstie and it looks like they have the Bavarian and the European. I'm assuming it comes with a lager yeast too?

if you follow the instructions to 23L you get ~15 IBUs. Yawn.
...and just as well - isohop bitterness leaves a lot to be desired! :icon_vomit:
It doesn't matter what hops they say they use for their various styles, they artificially bitter these kits, and you can really taste it with 2can brews.
Much better that the cans are under-bittered, and the brewer add bitterness as required for the style (eg BoPils).
I'll be giving this one a try for sure - summer keg filler!

is this replacing the Bavarian Lager? At Coles the other day they had 'Discontinued' stuck on the shelf for Bavarian Lager.

Don't know if the Bavarian is done but I've also seen on special at Coles. At K-Mart it was $9.90! Not bad for pretty reasonable kit with real lager yeast.

Well The lager will be interesting. I would like to give it a go.
what would be a good adjunct mix??

I have not tryed any of the coopers international range of tins.
Some seem a little over priced.

Has anyone had any success with them?

Don't know if the Bavarian is done but I've also seen on special at Coles. At K-Mart it was $9.90! Not bad for pretty reasonable kit with real lager yeast.

$8.00 at my local Big W . . .3 cans left, all with late 2009 dates as well, Off to get them tomorrow!

Cheers

The brewing guide on the Coopers website recommends to be kept in bottle for 12 weeks before drinking.

I don't think I could wait that long :icon_cheers:

Has anyone else brewed this one? I would like to hear about it.

I bloody well hope not.
Out of all their kits that's my favourite.

I'd like to try the other coopers range, but here in NZ they only sell the original series In the supermarkets, $10.50 a kit. I might have to get my sister to send a couple of the international kits over.
Is there much of a difference between original and international?

:chug: I make a really nice beer out of the Mexican Cerveza, My chilli Kaffir lime leaf beer... Its yummy!

:chug: I make a really nice beer out of the Mexican Cerveza, My chilli Kaffir lime leaf beer... Its yummy!

i like the sound of that one Katie, could you share the recipe. :beer:

It was one of my first and simpliest brews but so far the nicest. I HATE corona but somehow this turns out really nice.

1 can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1 kilo of Enchancer 1 or 2 what ever you prefer (Ive tried both and I like it with 2)
then all you do is chop up 4 HOT chillis and a handful of Kaffir Lime Leaves
throw them into the carboy before pitching the yeast

I dont rack this beer no need.

You will find after one week in the bottle the kaffir lime leaf is really potent and the chilli is in the back ground. Quite sickly... But after 3 weeks in the bottle the Kaffir Lime Leaf takes back stage and the chilli comes through. Great summer Quaffer! People love it. Dont go over board with the chillis otherwise people wont go near it. I have found with just four HOT chillis it gives it just a hint on heat.

Cheers :beer:

It was one of my first and simpliest brews but so far the nicest. I HATE corona but somehow this turns out really nice.

1 kilo of Enchancer 1 or 2 what ever you prefer (Ive tried both and I like it with 2)

You will find after one week in the bottle the kaffir lime leaf is really potent and the chilli is in the back ground. Quite sickly... But after 3 weeks in the bottle the Kaffir Lime Leaf takes back stage and the chilli comes through. Great summer Quaffer! People love it. Dont go over board with the chillis otherwise people wont go near it. I have found with just four HOT chillis it gives it just a hint on heat.

chilli and beer ?? whats next?

Thanks Katie, i will give it a go in the next couple of weeks. :party:

Back