New keg setup help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielscott26

Reaction score
Hi guys I've just set up my keg system in my fridge it currently only has two bronco taps from craftbrewer with the black 1m hose. Im currently carbonating at 10psi but did a test pour today and to pour the beer i have to drop the pressure right down to about 3-4psi pour the beer then raise it back to 10psi. My question is do i have to keep doing this once the beer is fully carbed or can i drop it down to my saving pressure or will this cause the beer to go flat?

Also if i lengthened the beer line to 2m will i be able to pour beer at 10psi or will i need to go longer?

Cheers

you will generally carbonate at much higher pressure compared to serving. I carbonate at 35psi for 36hrs and then serve at only 6psi with about 1m of 5mm line through perlick taps. When the beer has finished carbonating you can reduce the pressure, it wont go flat.

Check the draught balancing wiki on here mate that'll sort ya out but I run 3m of 5mm line pours well at 12 psi serving pressure

You shouldn't have to adjust your pressure each time you serve a beer, my experience is the beer carbonation will slowly follow your gas pressure

check out a keg carbonation calc such as this http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

I have flow control taps so I am not much good to you in relation to line length, although I know it does play a major part, you would be better with two metres than one from memory.

check out line balancing calculators
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=beer%20line%20balancing%20calculator

each system is different and you will slowly learn where your system is centred, just keep in mind that it is better to drink slightly flat beer than to be pouring foam every beer, so take it slow and choose the lower pressure if in doubt until you work it out.

good luck and happy kegging

If you have 3m of 5mm internal diameter line you shouldn't need to change pressure. Just set it to 12psi to carbonate and to serve.

trevgale said:
If you have 3m of 5mm internal diameter line you shouldn't need to change pressure. Just set it to 12psi to carbonate and to serve.
+1, 3m 12psi works

Thanks for the replys guys I will head down to the local brew shop this week and grab 6 meters of 5mm internal line and set my two taps up with 3 meters each. My carbonating pressure is 10.7 psi but I'm worried about gas leaks so I'm going to force carb my next brew at a much higher psi so I don't have to leave my gas on. I will try the 35psi for 36 hours and see how that goes.
Cheers for the advise guys il let you know how it all works out

Hey Dan
After many years away I have come back an likewise treated myself as new to kegging. I found a version of this thread here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/10667-guide-to-keg-forced-carbonation/ worked for me it is basically. Method that works for me is ....From fermenter to keg, burp keg to expel o2 then max gas (30-40psi), place on side and roll back n forth for 10 mins with gas line closest to ground. You can hear the gas being absorbed. Place in fridge wait 24 hrs to get cold, burp to get pressure down gas to serve pressure (8-10psi) done. Turning gas off when not in use, or disconnect gas line if extended periods. This also works if I am storing the keg too. just dont burp.
I have tried heaps of methods and found this best for me.

If you are just setting up your system for the first time I would highly recommend just setting it to your serving pressure and leaving it for a week or so.

If you over carb you keg by using a higher pressure it will be impossible to tell if your system is working properly, this is one of the biggest issues I had when I was first setting up. Once you know your system is properly setup and is pouring well then you can quick carb and at least you know that is the problem if it is over carbed.

If you are worried about leaks submerge your gas setup while pressurised to check it. I checked all mine in the laundry sink, found a couple of small leaks and fixed them.

Back