New Guinness Gadget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mate in London hasn't been able to find these yet.
How about your mate Ross ?

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
My mate in London hasn't been able to find these yet.
How about your mate Ross ?

Beers,
Doc
[post="115016"][/post]​

No feedback yet Doc... :(

anyone ever find one of these? apparently the royston hotel has one so I might be seeing one in action tonight

If you read that article carefully, the gadget is about $40 and the "special" beers are about $3 a can.
Maybe you can just sing to your beer in a loud falsetto voice.

My mate got sick of looking for me.
Must have either been popular, or scarce.

Doc

I smell a gimikey market ploy.Ebay would have them if readily available.

Ok the ultrasonic surger is a one off cost. I am curious about the nitro/c02 + maybe something else, special gas mix. What the special gas mix is interests me more. Oh plus I want one too...

According to Wikipedia:

In March 2006, Guinness introduced the "surger" in Great Britain. The surger is a plate-like electrical device meant for the home. It sends ultrasonic waves through a Guinness-filled pint glass to recreate the beer's famous "surge and settle" effect. The device works in conjunction with special cans of surger-ready Guinness. Guinness first tested this system in New York in 1977. More recently it had tested the surger since 2003 in Japanese bars, most of which are too small to accommodate traditional keg-and-tap systems. The surger has since been introduced to bars in Paris, France but with no intention of making it available to the public.

According to this article:

Diageo's Guinness Draught in cans is to receive its most radical makeover since the famous widget cans of the late '80s. Its makers will next week launch 'Guinness Surger' - an ultrasound device which purports to deliver a perfect pint.

The new line will consist of a plug-in unit which sends an ultrasonic signal through the Guinness Draught Surger beer to encourage the pint to settle and thus separate the black body of the pint from the creamy head. It will purportedly only work on stout poured from the new Guinness Surger cans.
Advertisement

Backed initially by a GBP2.5 million marketing spend, the device will initially retail at GBP16.99 in a pack containing a pint glass and two 520ml cans of the Surger branded stout. Four-can packs of Surger will also be retailed at a price range in line with the existing Guinness Draught in cans.

The innovative pouring process is targeted towards men aged 25 years and over, and is launched at a time when Guinness sales in the Europe are waning. Parent company Diageo has warned ahead of its interim results that growth in Europe is likely to be hampered by weak sales of Guinnes and RTDs.

Surger was first rolled out in Singapore and Japan and will be launched in Britain next week - initially at Tesco Extra stores - prior to a national rollout.

Review here

Technical and patent info here

Video of it in action here

Looks like fun :beer:

Maybe I just got a bad can, but...

I had a surger fired Guinness last night and it was truly awful. Tasted like old socks and there was something "not quite right" about the mouthfeel.

On the other hand, I dont see why the surger jigger shouldn't work to get a nice creamy head on pretty much any beer. All the ultrasonics are doing is shaking the glass, really tiny shakes and really fast, but still just shaking.

But, who the hell knows. Maybe its ultrasonics, maybe its legions of tiny leprachauns irish dancing on the bottom of the glass. All I know is the Guinness tasted like socks.

Thirsty

edited for speelink

I had one of these in a pub in Balmain in 05, it was the day that the "Tahs were playing in the Super 12's GF. I was...or wasn't yet, pissed...and amazed and had to try one. If my memory serves me right they poured it out of the old non widget style bottle, stuck it on the gizmo and a nice creamy guiness was the result. Been looking for another one ever since

On the other hand, I dont see why the surger jigger shouldn't work to get a nice creamy head on pretty much any beer. All the ultrasonics are doing is shaking the glass, really tiny shakes and really fast, but still just shaking.

I agree, all that the ultrasonics are doing is "rattling" the molecules in the beer which scares out dissolved gasses. I would imagine there would be no difference between CO2 and Nitrogen. I want one too! :lol:

I'd better rephrase what I just said... The surger will propably work with any beer provided that it is already flat!

I just found this video on youtube of a bottle of Stella placed in the surger, pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd better rephrase what I just said... The surger will propably work with any beer provided that it is already flat!

I just found this video on youtube of a bottle of Stella placed in the surger, pretty funny.

Maybe not much use for the homebrewer then :(

cheers Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of these in a pub in Balmain in 05, it was the day that the "Tahs were playing in the Super 12's GF. I was...or wasn't yet, pissed...and amazed and had to try one. If my memory serves me right they poured it out of the old non widget style bottle, stuck it on the gizmo and a nice creamy guiness was the result. Been looking for another one ever since

If that's the case, then maybe it was a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout, as opposed to the Guinness Draught product. I would certainly like to see that - I think the Extra Stout is a much nicer drop.

I think the point is that the special 'surger' beer is already saturated with nitrogen - hence the strict pouring instructions etc.

The ultrasonic vibration causes the dissolved gases to nucleate and form bubbles. So as long as the dissolved gas in your beer is nitrogen it will work, but if you've got too much co2 then you'll get a gusher.

I use an ultrasonic bath at work to degas reagents that I use for nutrients analysis of water. some of the solutions I use actually remind me of a settling guiness or kilkenny. This is from the air dissolved in the water, the different concentrations/salts behave differently in the sonicator.

If you get one, don't turn it on and put you finger on it, it is REALLY bad for bones.

For those keen to try it, the Harlequin Inn in Pyrmont had the surger last time I was there.

Back