New Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Ordered this whilst I was in the USA and shipped it back, fits perfectly onto my current hopper for my old 2 roller crankandstein mill.

Crankandstein_Mills_009.jpg

Crankandstein_Mills_011.jpg

Crankandstein_Mills_012.jpg

Crankandstein_Mills_013.jpg

B) Very swish mate! Whats the purpose behind the third roller?

noice piece of kit there.

It looks like the gap is set on the bottom roller....I too wonder what the theory is.

Theory is that first roller softens grain interior and splits husk, second gap crushes the interior properly and removes the husk fully. I am going to be interested in performing some crush tests once I get the wiper motor hooked back up.

start edit

Oh, and I think I have the old 2 roller mill already sold

end edit

Random, you should crush some grain in your old mill and put it to the side for comparison purposes, maybe even some pics? :rolleyes:

Very nice. I recently bought a 3 roller Monster Mill and its awesome!

The 3 roller mills are generally just to let you crush faster, not so much for a better crush.

QldKev

Can't see how it would crush any faster, all the grain still has to pass between the gap in the first two rollers, so it should take longer having to go though a second gap. Can anyone tell me how they measure their gap between the adjustable rollers when it is not readily accessable?

cheers

Browndog

Can't see how it would crush any faster, all the grain still has to pass between the gap in the first two rollers, so it should take longer having to go though a second gap. Can anyone tell me how they measure their gap between the adjustable rollers when it is not readily accessable?

cheers

Browndog

You can spin the drive roller faster without creating flour.

QldKev

I have a new 3 roller crankenstein mill (NIB) for sale if anyyone is interested, cant remember the price but I could check back if there is some interest.
GB

cheers

Browndog

If you check the website for this model, the third roller has pre-set detents of 0.005" allowing a variable gap. Factory preset .045" Adjustment ranges from .025" to .065"...etc

FJ,
I would be very keen to hear about your impressions of this mill. I'm intending to upgrade the marga for "Daddy's" christmas present and am tossing up between the MM mill and the Chrankenstein.

Cheers

Chappo

FJ,
I would be very keen to hear about your impressions of this mill. I'm intending to upgrade the marga for "Daddy's" christmas present and am tossing up between the MM mill and the Chrankenstein.

Cheers

Chappo

I am hopefully going to get the spider coupling and wiper motor fitted to it this weekend, assuming I have time, I will then be performing some crush tests varying the third roller gap through each of its settings. I'll take pictures of each result for comparison purposes in a carefully controlled manner so they are easily comparable.

Overall impression of mill construction is good, quality is excellent and everything is smooth and well fit. Does not surprise me, my original two roller mill from them was fantastic and has served me very well for seven years.

it's always fun commissioning a new mill, considering the weather here in Newcastle today I got time to play around with the new shop mill, just checking the roller gaps and adjusting the magnets on the nut catcher and giving the inside a quick clean, thought I would take a couple of happy snaps while I had the top unbolted.

P1010008.JPGP1010006.JPG

Bit of a step up from the old Phil Mill II, unfortunately it's reached the end of its useful life. Can't complain it's given sterling service but I don't think it was designed to chew through -1 ton of malt a month.

MHB

it's always fun commissioning a new mill, considering the weather here in Newcastle today I got time to play around with the new shop mill, just checking the roller gaps and adjusting the magnets on the nut catcher and giving the inside a quick clean, thought I would take a couple of happy snaps while I had the top unbolted.

Bit of a step up from the old Phil Mill II, unfortunately it's reached the end of its useful life. Can't complain it's given sterling service but I don't think it was designed to chew through -1 ton of malt a month.
Wow thats a real mill, what sort is it?
I wont even bother asking what it is worth.

I have a new 3 roller crankenstein mill (NIB) for sale if anyyone is interested, cant remember the price but I could check back if there is some interest.
GB

I'm considering getting a mill (which I'm sure will make you more than happy)

FJ,

Cheers

Chappo

Chappo - I have a 2nd hand 3 roller S/S Crankenstein if you are interested.
Personally I don't think they can hold a candle to a Millmaster.

Cheers Ross

Chappo - I have a 2nd hand 3 roller S/S Crankenstein if you are interested.
Personally I don't think they can hold a candle to a Millmaster.

Cheers Ross

I hear ya mate. You know I value your advice. But I despirately need to upgrade from the Marga, it just won't cut it with the amount of brewing I am doing. It's now coming into Summer and I'm tapped, completely farked, no kegs, no beer for me! Last month I brewed 126lts and I can't keep up. In need a mill that's up to the task to make my life easier. Seriously I've had it with the bloody marga, it's fine for someone wanting to do single batches here and there, but I need something that'll crunch 11kg of grain in 2 mins and ask if there's more? I have seen the MM shop mill dozens and dozens of times in action, as you know, and I would be lying my huge ass off if I said I wasn't impressed. I just want a mill that works and I don't need to replace till in up in the big yard glass in the sky.

Chap Chap

Back