New Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK back on topic.

A new motorization method!

Old paper shredder, free out of office! Tore it down on the hope it would have enough torque to drive the mill on the finest crush. Had a friend turn down the main roller of the mill to 10mm so I could use the spider coupling I already had.

15 minutes later and the mill is fitted with a paper shredder motor, with build in gearing to about 80 rpm and a shit load of torque, I hope!

Tested up on the finest crush and it worked a treat. The rubber spider in the spider coupling could be a bit firmer, it gets distorted quite a bit, so might have to chase up another with higher specs. Other than that, works a charm.

Sorry for the shiite pics, camera phone. Once I get some formal testing done on each setting I'll use the proper camera.

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

rockn roll. though wouldn't it have been easier to drill out the coupling to 1/2" rather than turn down the mill shaft?

rockn roll. though wouldn't it have been easier to drill out the coupling to 1/2" rather than turn down the mill shaft?

Possibly, do not think there would have been the material left for the grub screws thread though. I also think the end of the shaft was closer to 3/4" than 1/2", I must admit to not measuring it though. The roller shaft you see there has had 3/4 of its length cut off as well.

cool! so you've saved a few bucks there then! Is it okay for me to bring my grain around saturday morning? we can christen the thing :lol:

cool! so you've saved a few bucks there then! Is it okay for me to bring my grain around saturday morning? we can christen the thing :lol:

Sure, you would be welcome to christen it! Make it early if you want to, I have to work Saturday and was going to leave at around 9:30am to head in!

scuse my ignorance...but is milling your own grain any better than buying your grain pre-milled? Is it like freshly ground coffee, or is it more so that you can bulk buy your grain and store for many months to be used as needed?

scuse my ignorance...but is milling your own grain any better than buying your grain pre-milled? Is it like freshly ground coffee, or is it more so that you can bulk buy your grain and store for many months to be used as needed?

Both I reckon, ive noticed a difference even milling the night before...

For me its a convenience thing.

So long as I have the grain I can brew when ever I want to. I don't need to plan ahead with getting the home brew store to do it for me.

As far as freshness goes I haven't noticed a difference; but its been a long time since someone else pre-crushed grain for me.

Scott

OK back on topic.

A new motorization method!

Old paper shredder, free out of office! Tore it down on the hope it would have enough torque to drive the mill on the finest crush. Had a friend turn down the main roller of the mill to 10mm so I could use the spider coupling I already had.

15 minutes later and the mill is fitted with a paper shredder motor, with build in gearing to about 80 rpm and a shit load of torque, I hope!

Tested up on the finest crush and it worked a treat. The rubber spider in the spider coupling could be a bit firmer, it gets distorted quite a bit, so might have to chase up another with higher specs. Other than that, works a charm.

Sorry for the shiite pics, camera phone. Once I get some formal testing done on each setting I'll use the proper camera.

g'day fj,

any chance of those pics and some feedback on the mill, did you have to upgrade the coupling ?

cheers

Dave

g'day fj,

any chance of those pics and some feedback on the mill, did you have to upgrade the coupling ?

cheers

Dave

Dave I'm surprised a bloke like you isn't building your own mill mate, if you can get someone to turn you up some rollers, it's pretty easy to build your own.

cheers

Browndog

Dave I'm surprised a bloke like you isn't building your own mill mate, if you can get someone to turn you up some rollers, it's pretty easy to build your own.

cheers

Browndog

no time i'm afraid mate, especially for the next few months

cheers

Geez, totally forgot I was meant to do this!

I'll get some video of it working this weekend when I brew and pop it on my website. I still need to make a housing up for the paper shredder setup as it gets way covered in flour.

Latest posts

Back