New Extract Tin Of Goo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Del, trucks carrying the cans of goo get hot, no matter if they're going to a brewshop or a supermarket. I've also noticed that some brewshops have a very hot shed out the back full of supplies.
I play it safe and don't use the dried yeast apart from an emergency Saf packet now and again. (I'm loving the K-97)
Getting a Coopers yeast going from the bottle couldn't be easier.

1st, do a search on "Propogating Yeast From Commercial Bottles"
2nd buy some fresh Coopers (they have dates on them)

and you're away! :)

Made up a couple of kit and extract brews yesterday, first time in ages only because the local HBS gave me some morgans nut brown kits and some cans of coopers extract, Free! :) :)
He said do what you can with that just give me a few bottles when it's done, I like your brews :p :D cool.
I put the yeast under the lids in the boil and used Wyeast 1335,oh and I could not help myself and did a mini mash[500g in a small esky] and made them into partials,as for the yeast I BOIL the can stuff.

I'm interested why you boil the packet yeast bindi.

Is it some sort of cannibalism theory? Does live yeast likes eating dead boiled yeast, or are you looking for a vegemite taste?

(these are not serious comments!)

I have my doubts about kit reviews. There are so many variables in brewing and it is tempting to blame the kit when the beer doesn't live up to your dreams. It's probably not the cause.

I seriously believe that most kits on the market are reasonable enough and there is very little if any difference in quality, provided you buy them fresh enough. When I buy a kit I tend to buy Coopers because they are reasonably priced and probably turn over quicker.

These Cascade kits are hyped beyond control but it doesn't mean that you can't make a decent beer with them. The apple flavours in your beer are more likely from the other fermentables in the recipe, or possibly from high fermentation temperatures.

Hygiene, temperature, limited use of sucrose and at least a week in the fermenter and you will make something reasonable.

not realy sure what happened temp was never above 20 degs c as i brewed it in the kitchen and it was in winter so the temp was ok may be it was just one of thoughs beers how can i put it well a learning experience :D

but as u said most kits are good and i agree they are :beer:

delboy

anyone get a decent result with safale or other with this wanky ghost ?
cheers 501

we did a really good porter with..
Cascade choc mahogony porter and a brew Goliath's London porter pack.
Use London Ale or S04 or US56...

So check out Goliath's web site with the Master brew bags - i am sure u can find something there to add to the can to make it good.

Hope this helps...

Weizguy said:
For a different take on the Spicy Ghost, see this link to the Fizzy Cordial beer thread.

My 2 cents...Seth out :p
[post="99738"][/post]​

So I take it weizguy that you don't like the spicy ghost, for which you are entitled to your opinion.
But you don't have to knock a brew that some other brewers might like, by calling it a fizzy drink.
From your stupid statement I also take it that you are one of the I'm better than you.'cause I'm a god almighty ALL GRAINER, which, if you are i fell proud of you.
But don't think that we are all AGer's here.
I personally am proud that that I'm a kit brewer, having done a few partials, and extract brews, which I like very much, but don't have the time or resources to do full time.
If you don't like the cascade range of brews, keep your self opinionated thoughts to your self, without discouraging us mere mortals

Rant over

Normell

At Brewcraft I noticed the Malt Shovel kits were half price - or rather 2 for the price of one.

Another thing I noticed is they keep the Coopers kits out the back.

Normell, before launching on a rant, take the time to read the link that Weizguy posted. It is obvious he is a keen kit brewer.

As Weizguy said, for a different take on the spicey ghost, read the thread.

Dickted,
i heard that Lion Nathan own the Brewcraft stores, which may be why they push certain products and not others.

Yes do take the time Normell.

I recently PM 'ed weizguy for some help with weizen info and I couldn't have struck a more helpful and humble brewer.
From reading many of the threads that he posts i believe he does a mix of extract partials and some AG as well.

He is definitely not up himself and has a sense of humour that certainly doesnt deserve such an inflammatory attack :excl:

normell said:
snipped>
........ for which you are entitled to your opinion.

[post="99762"][/post]​

normell said:
snipped>
..........keep your self opinionated thoughts to your self, without discouraging us mere mortals

Rant over

Normell
[post="99762"][/post]​

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Rant is right there normel. I don't think you'll find anyone finds what wiezguy said to be anything like you seem to have found it.

Dazed and Confused
Jayse

Humblest of apologies to everyone, especially Weizguy.
Seems that the "old" Normell has surfaced again (Far too many pint's of ESB amber ale {Geez they taste good})
Gunna have to figure out a way to fit a Breathalyzer to the computer.
By the way Weizguy, & BLB, how did the fizzy drinks project come out, any winner's out of them.

Normell

I actually have a 'Spicy Ghost' in secondary after taking considerable care in cleaning and yeast preperation. I used the packaged yeast to see what the base kit tastes like.

To put it simply - no flavour, no aroma. I think this is the 'ghost' they are referring to. I have it in secondary dry hopping in the hope that it can be made drinkable, although I don't expect much.

My last canned brew. Moving on from here as the canned brews simply don't deliver what I'm after.

Agro.

Sorry to remind people about this apparently unpopular Kit, Cascade Spicey Ghost, but after having read some of the previous posts I decided to brew it and find out for myself or be haunted by it every time I drove the shopping cart down aisle 4 @ Coles, (sorry couldn't resist!).

One of the determining factors was it was on special $9.99 so I thought, how bad could it be? :blink:

Considering there haven't been any good reviews with just doing a basic brew, I thought .. no point replicating the same I added the following to try and make a quasi-Hoegaarden;

14g of orange zest (2 oranges)
16g crushed coriander seed
500g Dextrose
500g Liquid Wheat Malt
100g Maltodextrin
15g Cascade hops 8%aau
Safale K-97

30 min boil with wheat malt, dextrose, and maltodextrin, added orange zest and coriander @15min and added hop tea and can of goo at flameout. Made up to 23 litres.

OG 1.036 (I know a bit light on)
FG 1.006

1 week Primary, then 2 weeks in secondary and bottled.

Result- Not a bad, easy drinking, thirst quencher with a pleasant citrus aftertaste. Tried on a fellow homebrewer and various friends and family members, and the feedback is all good. In fact to the point of a certain friend returning to request it especially.

I guess it comes back to the fact that different people have different tastes. Now I'm by no means saying this is the best kit available and I definately have other kits on my list and an AG coming up that I would rather do, but I guess it probably isn't as bad as made out on previous posts. :ph34r:

As Mickey Dora, (Da Cat), once said: "There is no such thing as bad surf... just bad attitude and poor board selection." :)

Flame suit on. :ph34r:

Smashed Jaffa.

Edit: No affiliation.

smashed jaffa said:
Sorry to remind people about this apparently unpopular Kit, Cascade Spicey Ghost, but after having read some of the previous posts I decided to brew it and find out for myself or be haunted by it every time I drove the shopping cart down aisle 4 @ Coles, (sorry couldn't resist!).
I am also doing a spicy ghost. I just bottled it and it seems to taste quite nice at bottling stage. This is all the info on mine:

Beer information Batch 5
Batch name Extra Wheat Ale
Type of Beer Cascade Spicy Ghost
Can, best before date Sunday, 25 March 2007
Date of brewing Friday, 3 March 2006
Volume of water L 23
Type of additives Wheat Malt
Amount of additives Kg 1.000
Miscellaneous additives ?? 10g of Spalt hop pellets
Type of Yeast Safale Wheat/Ale yeast K-97
Yeast, best before date
Amount of yeast g 11.5
Temp of wort at yeast addition C 28
Original gravity 1048
Final gravity 1008
Date of racking Friday, 10 March 2006
Temp at racking C 27
Date of bulk priming Friday, 17 March 2006
Temp at bulk priming C 27
Primer Dextrose
Amount of primer 175
Date of bottling Tuesday, 17 October 2006
Temp at bottling C 27
Approx %ALC/VOL (Coopers) % 5.86%
Date of first tasting

Comments
Dry hop the wort with Spalt hops at racking. Tasted pretty good at racking. It had that bubble gum fruity flavour.

Latest posts

Back