New Extract Tin Of Goo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
saw it in a Coles today
nearly $14 from memory
anyone seen it, tried it yet?
it's got a dash of wheat, coriander and orange peel
(sound familiar?)

spicy ghost
see kit review
www.hbkitreviews.com/homebrew-beer-brands-categories.php
that should help

thanks
maybe it'd make a good tucan brew?
bit pricey tho, almost $30 for an extract brew

yeh the label sounds pretty good hey
maybey 10 of that 14 dollars goes to marketing

from previous discussions on these cans, its more like 13.50 of the 14

I've used the Saunders Malt Extract from the supermarket. Tasted it from the fermenter and it seems alright. More expensive @ $7.60/kg.

I've seen these kits before. I'm pretty tempted to try them for something different. I don't think they would be too bad if done right.

In a word, save your money; all crap!

If you are going to try them be prepared to have wasted your money and be disappointed. Everyone I know that has tried or tasted haven't said a complementary word.

In my opinion all marketing hype.

For $14 you can spend your hard earned on other well tried and tested premium brews such as Morgan's or Coopers range.

However each to their own, happy brewing.
AC

yes i agree
i made up some of that cascade goo called SPICY GHOST about the only thing true to the marketing is the word ghost this beer lacked body and had a holigrphic head . :blink:
spicy SPICY ? if you call apple undertones spicy then you must drink to much strongbow. as for the corriander and orange peel tastes and aroma,s .
well theres more corriander in a italian cooked thai spagetti bolognese and as for the orange peel flavor ??? well they do call tassi the apple isle for obvious reasons

save your money lads buy the time you arse about with this one it will cost you more than a muntons platnum range beer even splurging out on a wl yeast.

no i wouldn't even poison a good yeast with this bit of crap from cascade :blink: all market hype here.

but on a positive note the porter is good with a london porter partial and a london ales yeast well woth the extra expence there . :beer:

delboy

hey guys,
It's a pity I hadn't read all this before I shelled out my $13.80. :(

( have to log on more often )

I've got an out of date Mexican Cerveza and a W34/70.
I'll try them with it.

cheers
yard

no i wouldn't even poison a good yeast with this bit of crap from cascade blink.gif all market hype here.

Love it... Poison a good yeast :D :D delboy :)

Taste buds differ from person to person, I've tried all of the Cascade range, and quiet liked them, better than any coopers crap that I've made in the past :blink: , but then again I wasn't brought up on West end, Southwark or Coopers.
And also I don't use sugar in my brews anyway, and when ready, straight into a keg

Normell

PS Flame suit on :D

When I returned to brewing this year after a few years off, I make up a couple of the cascade cans, since cascade premium is a beer I enjoy. I had hoped that "can" brewing had improved in the last 10 years, but this was not one of them.

My reaction was to go and buy a 1/2 bag of grain and hops and start all grain brewing again. This gave me the tastes I was looking for and cerainly haven't looked back.

I was very impressed by the support I recieved from the Calton United brewers (makers of Cascade) when I asked them a few questions about their yeast.

There are some good cans out there and there's plenty of advice on here as to which ones they are. We all have different takes and favourites. Make up your cascade with brew enhancer 2, enjoy it and start planning the next brew.

You cant go wrong with Coopers Draught and there Brew Enhancer 2....

Fine drink, goes down nicely on a hot summers day.

hey guys buy nn means am i trying to put $hit on cascade tins i find that most of the tins of goo out there are ok .but when i saw spicey ghost i invisaged a smooth creamy amber with tones of wood roast coffee with a well balanced sweatness and hop aroma .NOT A BEER THAT TASTED LIKE APPLE CIDER!!.
I was just dissapointed in that the market hype was a load of $hit .
like most of us who read the back of this can ,It really dose make your mouth water .it is one of the best decriptions i have ever come across.The only thing is the discription was for someone elses can not "Spicey Ghost"

POST DESCRIPTION

anyway this post is a well ballenced post with plenty of aroma with a hit or two of cascade for dryness .plenty of $hit to take complexity to a new level and for get the apple undertones they are only present at the begining but syphore off the palet as you enjoy this humourous anidote :lol:

THERE YOU SOME MARKETING TRUTHS
DEL :super:

delboy said:
hey guys buy nn means am i trying to put $hit on cascade tins i find that most of the tins of goo out there are ok .but when i saw spicey ghost i invisaged a smooth creamy amber with tones of wood roast coffee with a well balanced sweatness and hop aroma .NOT A BEER THAT TASTED LIKE APPLE CIDER!!.
I was just dissapointed in that the market hype was a load of $hit .
like most of us who read the back of this can ,It really dose make your mouth water .it is one of the best decriptions i have ever come across.The only thing is the discription was for someone elses can not "Spicey Ghost"

POST DESCRIPTION

anyway this post is a well ballenced post with plenty of aroma with a hit or two of cascade for dryness .plenty of $hit to take complexity to a new level and for get the apple undertones they are only present at the begining but syphore off the palet as you enjoy this humourous anidote :lol:

THERE YOU SOME MARKETING TRUTHS
DEL :super:

Maybe it was your brewing methods that gave it the apple cider type taste, my attempt turned out OK for me :)

Normell
[post="89317"][/post]​

you could be right there!

well i am very fussy when it come to hygene and cleaning my gear i think i spent more time here than doing the batch.

but then saying that i have herd that some supermarkets which stock goo tins dont store them well and some time the yeast packs under the tins are spoilt .

can any one confirm this or herd the same thing
even read someware you can get yeasts that go bananary and apple flavours
if handled incorectly.

and this can cause all sorts of weird and wonderfull things .
read this on an english site and on craftbrew site

may be i was unlucky

but i like all the other cascade tins of goo .

del

If I am brewing with a can of goo, I throw the yeast (from the can) in the loo and then add coopers brew enhancer 2.

OK, I only ever use the packet yeast if all else fails. The cans come out OK if you use a commerical quality yeast, such as DCL (Saf ALE / Lager), WL (White Labs), WY (Wyeast) or even cultured coopers from a bottle, then ferment them at a temperature appropriate for the yeast.

10 - 12C for lagers and 19-22C for ales.

delboy said:
you could be right there!

well i am very fussy when it come to hygene and cleaning my gear i think i spent more time here than doing the batch.

but then saying that i have herd that some supermarkets which stock goo tins dont store them well and some time the yeast packs under the tins are spoilt .

can any one confirm this or herd the same thing
even read someware you can get yeasts that go bananary and apple flavours
if handled incorectly.

and this can cause all sorts of weird and wonderfull things .
read this on an english site and on craftbrew site

may be i was unlucky

but i like all the other cascade tins of goo .

del
[post="89330"][/post]​

your are possibly spot on Del
When I done my SG, I used a Saflager yeast.
Haven't used a tin yeast for years now, either Saflager or Safale

Normell

ok that was my thoughts on yeast supplied with the can .
now taking that in to consideration just think how many petentual brew dads out there got a kit for xmasor fathers day that could have an iffy yeast in it from a super market ? well there would be a lot of first time brewer dads out there very dissapointed if they were unaware of this factor.
this is why supermarkets suck when it comes to brew kits because they dont handel the yeast corectly.
i have seen pallets with brew cans kits on them out in the sun all day in Pirie
cant be good for the yeast thats happens a lot here because there doc is small and they dont have much room or staff to handel the volumes of deliveries.

actually coles and kmart are crap too .
del

Back