New England IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ I wouldn't bet on it, but I believe rolled oats go through the same process. So both can go directly into the mash. (Or is that what you meant?[emoji57])

^^ I wouldn't bet on it, but I believe rolled oats go through the same process. So both can go directly into the mash. (Or is that what you meant?[emoji57])
I do believe it is better to grind the rolled oats, but the flaked oats have been cut using heated rollers that crush and burst the starch granules so they can go directly into the mash.

I always use rolled oats into the mash. Never had any issues. If I use >10% I'll normally throw in some rice hulls to help prevent a stuck sparge.

I've not had a stuck sparge with 10% oats, just a painfully slow one even with rice hulls added.

Rolled oats from my LHBS with no head retention problems (in either oatmeal stouts or NEIPAs).

But I've never used supermarket oats to make any sort of comparison.

Fwiw, if you go over ~5% oats, I'd recommend the beta-glucanase step in your mash (44-45*C for 20-30mins).

Depends on what you want from having the oats in there, and if you do 3V vs BIAB/1V.
If you're looking for them to add some of that extra thickness to the body, then a beta-glucanase step will rob you of that (reducing the increased viscosity of the wort that the beta glucan will cause). In the case of using it to reduce the viscosity in order to prevent a slow lauter, well this is unnecessary for those doing BIAB.

For the record, I BIAB and have never done one a B-G step/rest

Hey guys, I have a question about my New England IPA. It tastes amazing, but is very dark and murky as opposed to hazy. Would anyone have any idea as to what I can do next time to improve?

DSCN2063.JPG

My recipe was roughly:

76% Pale
16% Instant Oats
4% Wheat
3% Maris Otter
1% Acidulated

Amarillo (steep) to 10 IBU

Giga Yeast #GY054 (Vermont IPA)

I added three dry hop additions of a combination of Galaxy, Mandarina Bavaria, Citra and Nelson Sauvin three days apart at 10g/L, with the first addition 24 hours after pitching the yeast.

I left it in primary for 1.5 weeks before transferring to bottles.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

did you weigh out your grain bill yourself or have your supplier do it? It looks like some crystal has snuck in..

Could you take a pic of the beer in natural light?
Looks for sure like some dark malt is in there, unless you toasted your oats like my old man used to cook his bacon...to the edge of oblivion...

It looks like a nice recipe.

Yeah, it looks like someone accidentally put some dark malts into your grain bill.
BUT, keep in mind that NEIPA's are super-sensitive to oxidation. A little bit of oxidation can turn a NEIPA fairly dark (but I've never seen one that dark). If you have kegging equipment, I'd recommend only kegging the beer.
Alternately, if bottling is your only option, I'd look for a CO2 counterfiller for bottling.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

did you weigh out your grain bill yourself or have your supplier do it? It looks like some crystal has snuck in..

I had my LHBS store weigh it out. I've never had any problems like this before, but you never know.

Could you take a pic of the beer in natural light?
Looks for sure like some dark malt is in there, unless you toasted your oats like my old man used to cook his bacon...to the edge of oblivion...

It looks like a nice recipe.

I'll post a pic in natural light later this week.

I'd say the 3% MO biotransformed into roasted barley. that yeast will do that with the right dry hopping schedule. The sky's the limit with a NEIPA!!!

I was unsure whether to add the MO. I wish I held off now. At least I'll learn from my mistakes.

Yeah, it looks like someone accidentally put some dark malts into your grain bill.
BUT, keep in mind that NEIPA's are super-sensitive to oxidation. A little bit of oxidation can turn a NEIPA fairly dark (but I've never seen one that dark). If you have kegging equipment, I'd recommend only kegging the beer.
Alternately, if bottling is your only option, I'd look for a CO2 counterfiller for bottling.

I don't tend to brew hop-forward beers, and I did have issues with oxidation with my last IPA I brewed earlier in the year. This could well be the issue.

I think I'll definitely look into buying a CO2 counterfiller soon!

I made one with Golden promise as the main malt, its darker than the stuff you get in the shops but still an amazing beer. I was drinking 3 ravens juicy off tap last night and it was the colour of orange juice, not sure what malt they are using to get it so light.

Latest posts

Back