New England IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ ^ nope. I left out the whirlfloc tablet from the boil and didn't cold crash.

full of haze and hop oils!!

I put a NEIPA together which looked/tasted the part.

I used:
80% Pale
20% Coles instant oats

Mashed @ 65c for 60mins.

I found my head retention was crap/non-existent.

Reading some old threads on using oats there were some comments (Advice Please - Crush The Oats?) about head retention and high fat content of instant/supermarket oats.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited:
interesting, it is a tasty yeast. I'll give it a burl
So far I've used vermont and 1318 with good results.

interesting, it is a tasty yeast. I'll give it a burl
So far I've used vermont and 1318 with good results.

I split my last batch and did WLP644 and WY1318 side by side. Both are good, but the 644 has far more tropical fruit aromas and flavours than the 1318. Also the 644 has the 'softer' mouthfeel of the two.

Yep. My understanding as well.
My only query might be whether the instant oats are a little more oxidized as they're more "exposed" and probably have been processed weeks/months previously.
Probably little difference to rolled, but it might be an argument to try whole oats and mill when ready to mash.

They were great/fine in my Red NEIPA, as well as a Belgian ale (7.5% oats)

Definitely. And possibly a little oven toasting beforehand [emoji6]

That's why I just used instant. With a fair bit of reading, it seemed like there wasn't much difference between instant and rolled in quality for beer-making. Similarly there wasn't much difference between whole and rolled, only the reduced number of steps to utilize the rolled.
TBH, the steps to use whole oats isn't that big a deal. Really it's just crush and boil for 30mins. But I was feeling lazy at the time.
They all work.

Fwiw, if you go over ~5% oats, I'd recommend the beta-glucanase step in your mash (44-45*C for 20-30mins).

Latest posts

Back