New Brewrig Help Needed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy

Reaction score
So I finally started upgrading my single batch 3v benchtop electric and gas brewrig to a double batch HERMS. I bought myself a bench, a 75L pot, and dusted off a 10L Birko and a keg with pre-welded sockets that have been in my shed for years and arranged it all together like its setup and ready. Now the head scratching begins...

Here is what it looks like currently:

med_gallery_2728_1417_231940.jpg

Apart from the stuff pictured above I also have 2 pumps (a little brown pump, and one of the larger $50 KegKing pumps), a false bottom I am hoping will fit into my new keg-tun and a load of silicon hose.

So, what next?

My thoughts at the moment are as follows;

- Buy myself 2 temp controllers, one for the HLT and one for the OUT of my HERMS.
- Mount the temp controllers and some buttons for my pumps in a some sort of box and mount that to the rig.
- Buy a Blichmann sparge arm (basically be cause I have a socket welded in the right spot and I cant think of any other graceful way to use this for sparging).
- Attempt to mount my 2 pumps underneath the top shelf of my bench somehow (possibly attach a piece of timber to the underside of the bench? Why do people put these right down on the lower shelf?)
- Come up with a graceful solution to attach hose to the HERMS coil (anyone know how to gracefully attach fittings to stainless steel tube? Its the chiller coil from my brothers RoboBrew that he didnt want)
- Make a decision on what fittings to go with and purchase a load of fittings (at the moment I have 3 male cam lock fittings that came with various items, and about 3 or 4 barbed fittings that I bought myself)
- Come up with a way of lowering my kettle down so I dont need to use a painters platform to stir my kettle.

Anyone out there want to make any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!!

Here are a few more photos...

med_gallery_2728_1417_124459.jpg

med_gallery_2728_1417_208023.jpg

med_gallery_2728_1417_7889.jpg

Hey Jeremy

You have the basics for a great rig.

A pid for the mash would be great. Another for the HLT would be better. Box is a good idea if you can put one together.

Depending in the diameter of your coil, you should be able to get compression fittings for the ends. They generally come in 12mm or half inch (I assume your coil will be one of these). These can go to camlock males. Use a t peice to put the probe in. Should be pics on the general setup of this around.

Camlocks are great. Use males on the hardware, and females on hoses.

You could get away with using one pump, and just swap the hose/s to sparge - if you put your boil kettle on the ground. Pumps are mounted low so they will gravity fill and can pump.

You could screw the pump/s to a peice of chopping board and just sit it on the shelf - that way its easier to clean them.

My kettle is on its own little stand like yours is - I just run it on the ground cause then I can see into it.

Love the bench, nice score.

Bit quick, but hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the pumps already and don't mind using them, but the main reason for the kettle where it is is that it would be a shame not to use my shiny new bench!

I reckon I will splurge on a set of camlocks, maybe not for everything, just the ones that get switched around during the process. I have struggled to find a way of mounting things without drilling holes in my bench, I was thinking a piece of timber as you suggested, but I think I would want it more fixed than just a chopping board size plank resting on the bottom shelf.

I think I probably need to test running my HERMS Urn and my HLT at the same time too, make sure it is possible without tripping! If its not, I am not sure what I will do about it, it would be a shame to not be able to re-circ through my HERMS and heat sparge water at the same time.

Latest posts

Back