New Brewer - Help With Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoltrix77

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post would like some help with my first kit based Lager. I just want to keep it simple as I am very much a beginner. I have a can of Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, a packet of coopers brew enhancer 1 and some Saf 23

I have just set up a old fridge for the task and are confused with the pitching process.

I have a 12g packet of Saf 23 and want to know if its okay to just sprinkle it on top of the wort like I have been doing with my ales (do I need to stir it in?) or do I need to re-hydrate it first. Also, do I need to pitch it at the 12degrees or do I need to do it warmer and then cool it back down after a few hours?

Finally once the beer has finished fermenting and I bottle it, do I need to condition at room temperature, or somthing close to zero and for about how long?

regards,

Adam.

adam
manufacturers directions for s23 are here
Fermentis state that you can either sprinkle on, or rehydrate first....opinion is (roughly equally) divided amongst users as to which method is best.
Also, pitching cool or pitching warm and then cooling, are both detailed as viable options by the manufacturer. And again, ask 2 different brewers, and you get 2 different answers. :lol: So your first 2 questions, both options you have listed are OK, it's just personal opinion as to which way is better.

Either way, I would reccomend pitching at the correct rate....which is 0.8-1.2 g/L (18-27g per 23L), ie 2 12g packs for a 23L batch. (edit: or 1 pack done into a starter to double the cell count)

Conditioning for lagers is done cold, usually in a cube prior to bottling. Time varies, but 4wks or more is not uncommon.

Hi All,

This is my first post would like some help with my first kit based Lager. I just want to keep it simple as I am very much a beginner. I have a can of Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, a packet of coopers brew enhancer 1 and some Saf 23

I have just set up a old fridge for the task and are confused with the pitching process.

I have a 12g packet of Saf 23 and want to know if its okay to just sprinkle it on top of the wort like I have been doing with my ales (do I need to stir it in?) or do I need to re-hydrate it first. Also, do I need to pitch it at the 12degrees or do I need to do it warmer and then cool it back down after a few hours?

Finally once the beer has finished fermenting and I bottle it, do I need to condition at room temperature, or somthing close to zero and for about how long?

regards,

Adam.
Hi Adam saw no reply as yet so .....
To make a lager at this time of year you'll definitly need that fridge. With lagers you should aim to keep a steady temp below 18degs I go for 12-14 it takes a bit longer to ferment out but the result is clear and crisp with no nasty flavours. Ive used several 2lt frozen water bottles in a fridge thats been turned off as I dont have a fridgemate and with the power on it was too cold.
As for pitching. Stir the hell out of it to get some oxygen in there and try to pitch the yeast at the same temp as the brew at about 18 or less. You can rehydrate if you like but the S-23 is a good quality yeast and doing so adds another chance of infection.
When conditioning most people bring the temp up to about 20 or so for a few days to a week then store in the coolest place they have. You can have it as cool as you like, as said, it'll just take longer to carb up Lagers where supposed to be stored I go for one week conditioning to one final gravity piont ei; 1008 = 8 weeks in bottle Plenty of info here at AHB. Hope this helps :icon_cheers:
Daz

Hi Adam,
I am no expert, I have only just done 10 lagers or so, but some things I have found that may help.

If using dry yeast double pitch. Sprinkle the yeast straight on top of the wort at low temp.

Fermentation Temperature. Keep the temp low, 10 to 13 Deg.C, depending on yeast right through the fermentation. Pitch the yeast as close to the temp that you will ferment at, which may mean you need to cool some water to add to the fermenter when mixing. You really need a fridge for this. I tried a Polystyrene box and ice cubes for a couple of brews which worked OK, but took lots of attention. I then picked up a bar fridge, which I removed all of the shelves from the door, and refitted the seal, to allow the fermenter to fit. I then connected the fridge to a Fridgmate, (you can buy on line). The bar fridge is a perfect size for a fermenter to fit into and allows you to easily control your temp.

Yeast. Think about what you are trying to make and select the right yeast and this has implications on your fermentation temperature. I must have done half a dozen brews with SafLager23, and not really happy with any. I found it "sweet". Don't get me wrong the beer was OK and some people I know really liked it but I did not. I tried some other yeasts e.g. 34/70 and found that I much preferred that, then there are the liquid yeast, but start off simple.

Conditioning.
You can probably get some better advise on this, but what I have found works well when kegging is to lager in a jerry can at 1Deg.C for 3 weeks, Then force prime.

Fear_n_Loath

Back