New Australian Drinking Guidelines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, I'll remember to chase it down with another, therefore making myself collapse on the floor and preventing the above issues...

Beer, the answer to and cause of many of life's problems.....

Alcohol causes health problems that cost money. These guidelines are designed to save us all money. They dont force you to do anything. When you are informed, you can make an informed decision.

Its a mistake to think that my life shortened by drinking will be happier than my life lengthened by moderation. Whats wrong with drink less, drink better?

Alcohol causes health problems that cost money. These guidelines are designed to save us all money. They don't force you to do anything. When you are informed, you can make an informed decision.

It's a mistake to think that my life shortened by drinking will be happier than my life lengthened by moderation. What's wrong with "drink less, drink better"?

Yes, but alcohol has tax on it (okay, obviously not homebrew), which then makes money....

It's kind of like smoking, for at least the last 5 years the govt has made more off excise than what it has quoted as the cost of smoking on the medical system..

As for life shortened vs life of moderation, I personally would rather have 60-70 years of doing what I want and dying with my marbles still home than watch what I do, and then loosing my mind at 70 and living for 20 years in constant fear because everything and everyone I once knew is now new to me.

Whats wrong with drink less, drink better?

My new mantra. I'm looking forward to old age. A fit old age that is. Won't get there without a liver.

Still, I think the policy of "any more than 2 standard drinks is risky" is crap. It will be ignored by most alcohol aficionados and has been disproven over the generations.

The problem with interest groups that have guidelines set for them, is that they dont understand that the guidelines are designed to try and takie into account every possible bozo on the block, so its always squewed significantly to the side of conservatism to account for those outlyers

As for life shortened vs life of moderation, I personally would rather have 60-70 years of doing what I want and dying with my marbles still home than watch what I do, and then loosing my mind at 70 and living for 20 years in constant fear because everything and everyone I once knew is now new to me.

You're more likely to keep your marbles if you have a fit circulatory system. Drinking and smoking really do take their toll on your blood vessels. Blood vessels in your brain popping or ceasing to function correctly has been identified as the main cause of dementia.

Your maths is a bit out butters. A 285ml glass contains 250ml of beer, the rest head, so its one standard drink.

Same as a glass that read 425ml on the bottom. Its 375ml of beer and the rest head. To test this open a stubby or can and pour it into the glass.

I got told this by a doctor recently and have been trying to consume less. With the hot weather that weve had recently its hard to do.

I personally would rather have 60-70 years of doing what I want and dying with my marbles still home than watch what I do, and then loosing my mind at 70 and living for 20 years in constant fear because everything and everyone I once knew is now new to me.

Fair enough. But the fact that you currently want to do what you are now doing doesn't mean you couldn't possibly be happy doing something else. Especially if it comes with improved health.

If you can't get what you want. Want what you get.

Don't misread me too much guys, I'm not saying that a life of 24/7 partying is the way to go, and constant excess...

Hell, I gave up smoking last year to be healthier, am in the first week of a dry month, and have also recently started working out as I was getting a slight spare tyre started....

I am not even to bother reading it. What hipocryts these polys are, raking in billions on alcohol excise the then telling us to cut down to one beer a day, pffffft

I bet not many of them could stick to that.

Here! Here! Seen a polies lunch bill? Bet ya theres more than the guideline suggests!

It's called litigation risk management. Mitigate the risk by being seen to do something, christ anything as long as we don't have our bottom hanging out. If big brother informs us via a "Safe drinking guideline" then they can't be sued, pursued or litigated by class action later on when our livers are failing. IMO do what you feel is best for you and you only. Me I like to have few, relax, chat and down load my stress and if that means I live well and live only into my 70's then so be it. I was my choice.

So lets burn our fermenters, mash tuns and boilers! And live long!

Yeah Right!

I wrote a paper on the health benefits of beer a few years back. It was basically a lit review of peer reviewed papers. There of a lot of positive to drinking beer. Will have to dig it up and compare. Can't remember what the consensus was on "safe" limits of consumption.

I tell ya if we could get the anti-carcinogenic properties of hops into our beer we would be on a winner.

I wrote a paper on the health benefits of beer a few years back. It was basically a lit review of peer reviewed papers. There of a lot of positive to drinking beer. Will have to dig it up and compare. Can't remember what the consensus was on "safe" limits of consumption.

I tell ya if we could get the anti-carcinogenic properties of hops into our beer we would be on a winner.

"anti-carcinogenic properties of hops" aye? ;)
Well Cubbie even if it is unfounded (re: find that paper asap!), that's good enough for me! I'm gunna use that tid bit everytime I suck down a frothy in my mis-moderated consumption habits.

Hell, I gave up smoking last year to be healthier, am in the first week of a dry month, and have also recently started working out as I was getting a slight spare tyre started....

I'm getting drunk as we speak. Dammit, I decided last night to give up the durries, and today is my first day without them. So I deserve a bloody beer or eight.

edit...hangs head with slight sense of shame, that it hasn't been completely free of the dreaded cancer sticks....I've had 2 today. I got weak. But normally by this time of day I've had about 30, so I think I still deserve that beer.

On the flipside, there's plenty of evidence on the link between drinking and longevity.

As I recall the Queen Mum was a solid drinker on a daily basis (mornings too) and lived to a ripe old age. Anecdotally there are plenty of news reports of people who drank and smoke all their lives and lived to 100.

Loads of Japanese people (particularly on the island of Okinawa as I recall) live to some of the oldest ages in the world- and exist on a diet of seaweed, fish, sake and beer!

Keep drinkin', Stop worryin' and the rest will take care of itself!

Hopper.

Butters, it takes time man......

Since my wife fell pregnant back in March06 I stopped smoking inside, and also in the family car, this basically left work and the occasional one at home which required going outside.

This meant by the time I quit proper in March08 I had gone from 25+ down to roughly 15.......

Made it easier..

I'm getting drunk as we speak. Dammit, I decided last night to give up the durries, and today is my first day without them. So I deserve a bloody beer or eight.

edit...hangs head with slight sense of shame, that it hasn't been completely free of the dreaded cancer sticks....I've had 2 today. I got weak. But normally by this time of day I've had about 30, so I think I still deserve that beer.

What a crack up! At least you are honest with yourself... Im on the way of changing myself as a smoker to a non smoker it's the only way, dont quit just change your'e status! Do yourself a favour and get Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking.... It makes sense (and normally Im not into self help books) ! Ironically he died of lung cancer but that was due to passive smoking!

Butters, it takes time man......

Since my wife fell pregnant back in March06 I stopped smoking inside, and also in the family car, this basically left work and the occasional one at home which required going outside.

This meant by the time I quit proper in March08 I had gone from 25+ down to roughly 15.......

Made it easier..

But your'e still feeding the monster by cutting down. Though congratulations you did it! How do you feel now?

Latest posts

Back