Never Visit [insert Place Here] For Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

To err is human, to arrr is pirate
Reaction score
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA.

Got sent there on a business trip last week. Definitely not a brewer's haven. There is interesting/non-mainstream beer available, but that's not the problem. The beer available in corner stores, groceries, etc (i.e. everywhere) is limited by law to 3.2%. I think my piss is stronger than that most nights. Apparently stuff with a strength up to 5 or 6% is available, but only from a limited number of liquor stores, and - get this - by law it's not allowed to be refrigerated.

It wasn't a fun trip.

Salt Lake City, Utah

I haven't been there but a couple of guys from work went there recently for business. This place is mormon territory so they found it extremely hard to find a bar to get a drink.

Lucky I wasn't there.. ;)

What about spirits. Are they illegal. Or do they have a law that you can only add 7ml of 40% spirit to final 285ml mix.
Isn't that a big religious state?

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA.

Got sent there on a business trip last week. Definitely not a brewer's haven. There is interesting/non-mainstream beer available, but that's not the problem. The beer available in corner stores, groceries, etc (i.e. everywhere) is limited by law to 3.2%. I think my piss is stronger than that most nights. Apparently stuff with a strength up to 5 or 6% is available, but only from a limited number of liquor stores, and - get this - by law it's not allowed to be refrigerated.

It wasn't a fun trip.

Perfect name then!

I was in Oklahoma City a couple of years ago, drove in from Dallas and picked up a few slabs in Texas (proper strength) prior to crossing the border. Very hot there too so the beer needs to be icy. It's probably so low to cater for the people carrying hand cannons legally!!!!! :beerbang:

What about spirits. Are they illegal. Or do they have a law that you can only add 7ml of 40% spirit to final 285ml mix.
Isn't that a big religious state?

Can't comment on spirits, but religious.......ooooooooh yeah. My hotel boasted 60 TV channels, but in reality only had 15 - and 4 of those were christian.

I'd much rather watch paint dry. <_<

Any Irish themed pub outside of Ireland, unless you like watery pints of Gunnness and 'Celtic' red.
Gratuitous use of props like the shamrock and irish harp should set the the alarm bells ringing.

I love America. What an absolutely incredible country. Rather than having a homogeneous nanny state like ours they have all these different states with massive differences between them, and all the annoying wowser crossnecks can congregate together and not annoy the other people.

Just don't go to these states and stick to the blue ones and you'll find that they crap all over Australia and our incredibly backwards liquor laws and taxes.

Don't go to McDonalds for a beer (in Europe).

McBeer is shit.

Salt Lake City, Utah

I'd have to disagree a little with SLC.
Been there for work many times, and always had a great session at Squatters Brewery.
Yes their beers are only 4%, but you wouldn't know it. Full of flavour and of course you can have quiet a few.

Doc

Don't go to McDonalds for a beer (in Europe).

McBeer is shit.

Whats wrong with McBeer with McBacon McMuffin at 8am?

Malaysia has my vote - just ahead of the MCG.

Lucky for me I support Geelong and can get FatYak at the bar at Skilled Stadium.

I love America. What an absolutely incredible country. Rather than having a homogeneous nanny state like ours they have all these different states with massive differences between them, and all the annoying wowser crossnecks can congregate together and not annoy the other people.

Just don't go to these states and stick to the blue ones and you'll find that they crap all over Australia and our incredibly backwards liquor laws and taxes.

That reminds me of Doug Stanhope's take on USA's different laws in different states..

very funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
The place where my brother had his wedding/reception last weekend.
At least not unless you like drinking mid strength light low carb pale blond 'beer'.
The venue, wedding chapel, service, priest, reception and food were all fantastic, however the beer selection was so 'bad' I ended up drinking XXXX - even though my brother (born/raised Victorian) had specifically asked for it to be excluded from the menu.

I'd have to disagree a little with SLC.
Been there for work many times, and always had a great session at Squatters Brewery.
Yes their beers are only 4%, but you wouldn't know it. Full of flavour and of course you can have quiet a few.

Doc

That's where they ended up after walking all over town and then finding this place only a couple of blocks from the hotel.

Malaysia has my vote - just ahead of the MCG.

Malaysia has some hidden treasures if you're lucky enough to stumble upon them like I did on the island of Penang in a supermarket connected bottle-o. But agree that the bulk of their beer is teetering on the brink of average.

Next time you're there have a look out for a beer called 'Danish Royal Stout'. Brewed by Carlsberg Malaysia. Drank one prior to going for a swim in a hotel pool earlier this year. Went back and checked the label after feeling rather giddy and almost sinking to the bottom :icon_drunk: . Turned out the beer was a whopping 8% alc/vol! One of the bigger Foreign Export Stouts you'll find kicking around and full of that fruity estery biggness you expect from this style. Well worth ripping into.

Hopper.

Portsea, Tasmania. Well, the pub in town there. Terrible crap beer on tap and it's the only pub in town, the rest are expensive overpriced restaurants and cafes. Insipid tasteless beer in that local and for the beautiful spot the town is at to get to wineglass bay.

Latest posts

Back