Never Ever Again With Us-05/1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Diacetyl

My curse with this yeast!

I have finally after all these years made a truly awsome APA and all i smell as i take a swig is F#@king butterscotch :angry:

I have tried US-05, Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 and i get dammed diacetyl every time.

I have tried underpitching, trippling up starters and over pitching, strait from packs, rehydrating, wearing pink pokerdot freakin undies........... Everything i can think of.

But never again.

This beer is great...... its made with 100% TF FM MO, Columbus, Centenial and Amarillo 20, 10 & flame out only, and i love the hop flavour and aroma......... but when i pour a glass..... and smell it, the first thing i get is butterscotch.

So never again!

1272, 1275 1318........ these are the yeasts i will use in future!

US-05........ you can suck my mash paddle and choke!

:icon_cheers:

I get buckets of Diacetyl with US05 whenever the OG is above 1.055 in a linear progression up to 1.075, where it's Werther's Originals.

Under 1.050 ... no diacetyl. Makes me think that alcohol stress leads US05 to spit Diacetyl.

YMMV, but I only get it in my AIPAs.

mmmm i get it on sub 50 beers.

Im never using it again.

I always keep a cpple packs of US-o5 in my fridge as a back up "oh crap my starter is rotton" yeast but a couple of lucky budding home brewers at work will be getting them and i will change my back up to noto!

It's funny but I haven't been having much luck with US05 recently either. Looking back through my notes I was getting beers that weren't as clean as they ought to have been and no decent settling, so bits of hops were floating round, which I put down to the US05. I haven't used it at all this year, nor will I get any as back up, but I used WY1272 in my APAs early this year and it was awesome.

Late last year, in desperation, I actually used a dry S-189 at 15 degrees with good effect for an APA - neutral and clean, let the malt and hops through well. I have a couple of these as a back up yeast.

cheers
Barry

mmmm i get it on sub 50 beers.

Im never using it again.

I always keep a cpple packs of US-o5 in my fridge as a back up "oh crap my starter is rotton" yeast but a couple of lucky budding home brewers at work will be getting them and i will change my back up to noto!
It's funny (or maybe not so funny) when you identify a certain trait in a beer that you don't like and then when you ever smell it again it just puts you off straight away.

For me it's that banana smell...just can't stand it...don't know what it is but just can't drink it once it's there!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Tony....I use US05 in my APA's a bit....hope I don't start identifying that now...haha, betcha I will, then I'll have to start doing something else.

Hey by the way, that recipe sounds interesting, haven't used Centennial before. Care to divulge a little more about your recipe?

Cheers

Molly

Never used it but I've used 1272 for the past 3 brews and love it!

Have you been using successive generations or new packs each brew? I assume you leave the beer on the yeast for sufficient time to clean up the diacetyl?

From what I know - and I must admit it isnt much, you can avoid this by letting the beer rest for a while before bottling or kegging to let the diacetyl be reabsorbed. I use US-05 a bit but always at a low temperature and have not experienced the problem for a long time.

From what I know - and I must admit it isnt much, you can avoid this by letting the beer rest for a while before bottling or kegging to let the diacetyl be reabsorbed. I use US-05 a bit but always at a low temperature and have not experienced the problem for a long time.

:lol: Not that Tony can't fight his own battles, but im REASONABLY convinced that Tony may in fact know this highly secretive point already.

Tony are you sure it's diacetyl ? I find US.56 highlights the malt profiles so much it can become honey like. I think we fail to bitter APA's enough when using any of the 56'ers but like you I was never completely happy with the result.

Now this is interesting

Late last year, in desperation, I actually used a dry S-189 at 15 degrees with good effect for an APA - neutral and clean, let the malt and hops through well. I have a couple of these as a back up yeast.

cheers
Barry

I'm with you here Barry, I have done my last couple of APA's with S-186 and been really pleased. I suppose it's more of a APL..lager? but clean with the hop profile coming through strong and clear. I brew at 14c so we would be both getting similar results.

Batz

You have grouped Wyeast 1056 with Saf US-05 ... are they really that similar? I have just started using liquid yeast with my last two brews & both have been 1056 ... where previously I would have used US-05 ... and both brews are based on your Bright Ale clone with the second brew substituting Cascade for Amarillo (and lower IBU's as I wanted to use up my leftover Amarillo pellets).

They are, so far my best brews yet ... and I am tasting them now trying to pick out the Diacetyl ... the un-carbed un-chilled younger brew has hints of it in the aftertaste ... that one is also the lower IBU (as in a "calculated" 20 IBU as opposed to around 27) ... but I expect that might fade when I keg & chill it & let it sit for a couple of weeks. In the chilled carbed & 10 days in the keg brew, I cannot detect it.

I respect your experience in this area, but have you had someone else taste the same beers to see if they detect the same as you do? ... I dunno, maybe it's the "pink pokerdot freakin undies" ... you know... the smell coming from them that is upsetting your olfactory senses :lol:

I've heard in an interview with a british brewer, I think it was meantime but not 100% sure, that he said they switched away from using MO in a certain beer as it was causing diacetylesque flavours.

Not saying it wasn't the us-05, just echoing batz' comment about malt.

You have grouped Wyeast 1056 with Saf US-05 ... are they really that similar?

Happy to be corrected, but i was of the opinion that 1056 and US05 are the same strain, one being a liquid version of the dry. Or is one the dry version of the liquid....

I'm with you here Barry, I have done my last couple of APA's with S-186 and been really pleased. I suppose it's more of a APL..lager? but clean with the hop profile coming through strong and clear. I brew at 14c so we would be both getting similar results.

Me too! I like S-189 for an APA. 12 degrees, three weeks, no lagering. I find it's cleaner than US05 and it certainly clears a lot faster.

If you're using US05 because you want a neutral yeast which stays out of the way of the hops and malt, why not take the S-189 challenge? It won't be exactly the same, but in my experience it works well in an APA.

I get honey (clover honey) flavours with US-05, too. Or is my peasant palate just messing with me?
And yes, I also thought 1056 and US-05 are the same strain.

+1 for sure
I got a twang in all my beers with US05/WY1056 no matter what the pitch rate, temp, SG, grain bill, rack or no rack...they all had the same taste/twang.
Other yeasts worked. But every time I went back to US05 I had the same result.
I guessed it was just 'me' because everyone else could make good beer from it.....
Maybe I'm not alone?
I stopped using it about a year ago....but it out sells all other beer yeast in the shop?

Weird, I've never had this with US05 (dry) and I use it heaps.

I do ferment generally for 10 days at 18 degrees and then cold crash for at least 4 days.

And from memory all beers I've used US05 with have a base of BB Ale Malt if that makes a difference.

Never used it with any UK base malts.

And I had just decided to run down my 1056 splits before trying 1272 as a replacement!

Looking forward to better floccing

Tony,

What's your fermentation profile? How quickly do you reach final gravity?

US-05/1056/001 does throw up diacetyl, but it is also a good clean yeast and has earned its reputation as a workhorse that tastes like Switzerland.

If you're always getting butterbombs, then either you're really sensitive to diacetyl (which I can understand completely) or there is something in your fermentation regime that is causing it.

Although, it's definitely easier to swap to a different yeast that works better for you.

Years ago I used to brew almost every time with recultured Coopers yeast. It powered through ferments, produced a great flavour profile in most of the styles I made, tasted clean as a whistle through fermentation, but it would always throw up bloody diacetyl for me for the first 2-3 weeks of bottle conditioning. Go figure.

I just sampled an aussie amarillo pale I made with MO and US05. Big honey notes, but I like it, and I did use some aromatic. Lovely. Try whitbread, its cleanish for a uk strain, and,drops out quick.

Latest posts

Back