Nelson Beer - Anyone Given This A Go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
Hmmmm...wondering if someone can shed light on this mystery beer.

Supposedly it was launched last year but damned if I've seen it anywhere. Apparently it's in Melbourne and Sydney (and possibly Tassie) It's won awards for packaging so I guess it looks good, but am wondering what the stuff inside the bottle is like.

The pr says it's an 'Easy Drinking Lager' with Nelson Sauvin hops. Sounds like a mild & watery version of Fat Yak but curious to try it all the same. If anyone has given it a go post up here your thoughts.

Links to Info:
Article - A Drinker Created Brew
Nelson Beer Website

No affilitation etc.

Hopper.

That website is horrible :p

..Sounds a lot like Knappstein Reserver to be honest though.

mmmm... taste the marketing!

I like what "Claude" the "brewer" has to say about Nelson Sauvin -
"Early trials with Nelson Sauvin immediately revealed it to be somewhat different in its brewing character compared to other hop cultivars. This variety imparts certain grape like flavours to the beer; flavours which have yet to be positively identified, and are described as Sauvignon Blanc, gooseberry, distinct, clean and fresh. To acknowledge this Sauvignon Blanc flavour the variety was named Nelson Sauvin."
Sounds familiar :huh:

Not sure if we are talking about the same beer, The Knappstein Reserve Lager is deceptively simple, I was quite impressed, had a bottle with a very good Laksa and they went together beautifully.

Looking at that horrible website in the OP I think there might be a beer called "Nelson" if the website is anything to go by I won't be looking for the beer!

Have to have a go at brewing a Knappstein Reserve clone soon I'm thinking a Nelson Sauvignon and Weyermann Premium Pilsner SMASH as a starting point.

MHB

I've made a Nelson Sauvin Lager before. IMO the hop doesn't suit the style.

That is one horrible website.

I will keep and eye out for their beer in Tassie though.

Yes. I tend to agree that this beer appears to have been created by marketers, not brewers. I checked out their blog as well and there is a lot of 'look how cool we are' speak on there and very little about the beer or brewing process.

Impressed that some of you guys managed to get into some sections of the official website as I couldn't. The flash animation freaked out my little computer and I really couldn't check it out much. Seems ridiculous that they would create something so tricky that people can't view it properly.

MHB, I think Knappstein Reserve would be a different beer? Or are you guys suggesting this 'Nelson Beer' is a repacked version of the same product? The Knappstein one is made in SA, this one I think comes from Melb, but has eastern state distribution. As a beer I really like the Knappstein.

Anyhow - if anyone gets their hands on this little mystery let us know about it.

Hopper.

Hopper.
Sorry if I wasnt clear, this is Not The Same as The Knappstein Reserve Lager.

Going to have to disagree with Nick JD, the Knappstein is a cracking good lager with loads of Nelson in it and the combination works a treat.
Might be down to the brewer
MHB

Latest posts

Back