Negra Modela Clone Grain Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiechucka

Reaction score
I am new to doing extract with grain. But would like to try a recipe I found on hbd.org for Negra Modelo. It is a Mexican dark beer, not crap like corona. This is available here for $30 for a six pack. Since I have been brewing for a few years now with kit beers, I would like to take the next step into partials.

The recipe by Evstakiev's Pivo

Grain: 0.23kg German Vienna
170g American crystal 60L
57g American chocolate
(Steep 60L Crystal Malt, German Vienna malt, and Chocolate malt at 65.5C for 20 minutes)

1.50kg Light malt extract
1.36kg Light dry malt extract

28.4g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 60 min.)
28.4g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
14.2g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 10 min.)

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager yeast or Wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager yeast

Has anybody got any suggestions of what equivalent grains we have in Oz and where they would be available.
Is there a website that has the conversions for American grain names to Australian grain names
Cheers
Aussiechucka

Your profile/info does not mention where you live, so its hard to know which of the site Sponsors website's to send you to.

However in this case there is no need for 'equivalent grains', so just click on the Sponsors link(s) above or simply tell your LHB guy what you need (assuming they stock specialty grains).
Vienna is Vienna, Weyermann is German and should be available most places.
Crystal 60L is Crystal 60L, Bairds (UK) (~60L) or JW (Aust) (~70L) and maybe others should be available most places.
Chocolate is Chocolate, again Bairds (UK) or JW (Aust) and maybe others should be available most places.

For future reference you may like to read this thread and/or download the .xls spreadsheet which should help: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...c=43902&hl=

Thanks for the info Wolfy. I will post when I finally put this brew down.
Should it be Ok to steep the Vienna, even if it says only for mashing. If I keep it around 65 degrees.

The table in Brewing Classic Styles puts Vienna is in the "Kilned Malts, need to be mashed but may be steeped" column, other references indicate that you will get 'some' Vienna flavour from a 20min steep.
Vienna does have enough enzymes to convert itself so if you held it for 1 hour you'd extract some sugars and get more flavour.
However, if you are following a clone-recipe, it's designed for the specific instructions provided and deviating from those would give a different result.

it would be worth your while having a hunt around for a few differant recipes if your really intent on cloning this beer.

why?

well depending on which beer styleguideline you read, Negra M is sometimes labeled a vienna lager and othertimes a dark lager (sub category american dark lager).

the differance being base malt and adjuncts (ie US dark lager has 2 or 6 row barley and lots of adjuncts, and the vienna has...well vienna malt as its base and bugger all adjuncts).

given that it rally should be labelled a vienna style beer, I personally would use the vienna but more of it. the problem you have is that as Wolfy said, its conversion power is poor and it really requires mashing. but steeping it, is better than having none at all.

as a side note, negra is widely enjoyed in mexico with tabasco and other stuff added to it like lemon or lime juice.

Thanks for all the help. Yeah once I get the handle on the partial I will be trying this as BIAB to get the fuller flavour from the vienna. There are many dary beers from Mexico that I like the Negra Modelo being one of the better ones but they do a really good one called Victoria which I also like. I know most of the beers from Mexico as I travel there alot. One of the best ways to give a Corona real taste is to put Ice in a tall glass. Squeeze lime juice over this and add Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce and sprinkle a little of chili poweder over the top. Pour in the Corona and mix. A great beer when it is hot. This is called a Michelada, there are variations. One with just lime juice over ice then pour in the beer, Chelada, really refreshing.
Anyway Cheers for the help
Aussiechucka

Have you checked the recipe in BYO magazine or their website? I think they had a Mexi-beers issue a while back.

Back