Need Soem Help Finding Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rh1an5

Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to this whole homebrew thing, i have purchased a basic Morgans homebrew kit and brewed my 1st batch (not great, but drinkable). I learnt a lot from teh 1st brew- especially about rinsing after sanitising, as well as temperatures etc.

So i started my 2nd brew this week, more adventurous, i decided to make a redback style, i really want to get away from the basic can brew as fast as possible and this allowed me to experiment with hops and malt extract. Whilst this is only my 2nd brew im looking at investing a bit of money into the whole venture as i can already see the savings and nothing beats drinking your own beer.,

but back on track, im looking for some food grade plastic tube/hose and a few more fermenters (for racking etc). Does anyone know a good place to source this stuff on the gold coast?

Whilst i love the local brew shop they want approx $50 for another fermenter, which seems a bit steep considering you can get complete kits at coels and wooleys/safeway for the same dollars.

Would water drums from the local camping shop be ok? i have heard they are not food grade.

anyway thanks in advance as im sure someone here can help me.

rhian

Would water drums from the local camping shop be ok? i have heard they are not food grade.

Yep. I've been using $13 water drums from Bunnings for over a year now alongside the 'official' fermenters, and I'm still around to post an answer to your question. You might have to drill your own hole if you want to have an airlock, but I'm told Glad Wrap over the top with an elastic band to keep it on tight works just as well.

You can get a 25L water drums from bunnings for quite cheap, as well as pvc tubing. It shouldn't cost you much more than $20

just checked out bunnings, 16 bucks or so for a 25lt 'water container' and an extr 1.70 or so for a tap. they had lots of pvc hose and then soem dedicated water hose, think the water hose might be a bit safer

Down here we have a place called GTS

http://www.georgetaylorsstores.com.au/

I just purchased a 30 litre Carbouy for $17. These are the same unit that they sell at a HBS. Tap $1.10.I could have got a 25 l one at Bunnings, but they are not food grade.
This place had everything. There was a 57litre cooler that would make an awesome mash tun only $125. Ally pots, burners, hoses, food grade cubes, beer glasses, jacketed boiler, pretty much everything that you needed in the way of brewing hardware & then some.
Cheers
Gerard

I recently bought a 60L fermenter of these folk for $45 (no affiliation)

LINK

It's exactly the same as ones the HB stores sell for around $75. They also have 25L cubes for about 10 bucks. They'd be 60km from the goldy, but if you're ever up from brisbane i reckon they'd be worth the trip.

I recently bought a 60L fermenter of these folk for $45 (no affiliation)

LINK

It's exactly the same as ones the HB stores sell for around $75. They also have 25L cubes for about 10 bucks. They'd be 60km from the goldy, but if you're ever up from brisbane i reckon they'd be worth the trip.

Tomtoro,

They are fantastic prices. All Queenslanders should bookmark that site. Bulk buy would be even cheaper.

cheers

Darren

Tomtoro,

They are fantastic prices. All Queenslanders should bookmark that site. Bulk buy would be even cheaper.

cheers

Darren
These guys are great, i've bought six 20L cubes off them for no-chills. $4 each, plus GST. The special is still going.

~snip~
I could have got a 25 l one at Bunnings, but they are not food grade.
~snip~
Cheers
Gerard

There seems to be a number of people on here using (and recommending) these, including myself. Not that I disbelieve you, but how can something be sold as a water storage container (assuming for consumption) and not be food grade? What is the danger in using this product in our breweries?

Cheers,

microbe

There seems to be a number of people on here using (and recommending) these, including myself. Not that I disbelieve you, but how can something be sold as a water storage container (assuming for consumption) and not be food grade? What is the danger in using this product in our breweries?

Cheers,

microbe

There is a 25litre container with an orange lid at the Bunnings I went to. It is not food grade, & is used for camping it wasn't sold as a water storage container, they have all those cubes for that. I couldn't figure it myself as i don't go camping. A mate explained that you put everything in there that you dont want to get wet! He does a bit of kayaking & there has port in his kayak that fits this "fermentor" look-a-like. Even if you tip the thing, you keep everything dry!
The food grade units, same as you get at a HBS are very easy to find at disposals/hardware shops.
Cheers
Gerard

looking aorund at teh camping shops the drums are all similar to the bunnigns items, and vary in price from 20-30, only the ones at annaconda i think had a water safe label.

will try this place in rocklea i think and go from their.

was wondering if thier is a sticky or a post regarding places peopel source thier parts to build their home brewereies?, ie. can i get taps etc from tradelink, local plubing shops etc.

cheers

There is a 25litre container with an orange lid at the Bunnings I went to. It is not food grade, & is used for camping it wasn't sold as a water storage container, they have all those cubes for that. I couldn't figure it myself as i don't go camping. A mate explained that you put everything in there that you dont want to get wet! He does a bit of kayaking & there has port in his kayak that fits this "fermentor" look-a-like. Even if you tip the thing, you keep everything dry!
The food grade units, same as you get at a HBS are very easy to find at disposals/hardware shops.
Cheers
Gerard
I was in a Bunnings today (my work takes me there sometimes) so I took some time to check out the range. The 25L 'Storage Drum' is labelled as below
Open Head Camper DRUM
25litre Heavy Duty Lid & Seal
Rubber seal ensures clothing and other contents stay waterproof. Ideal for camping and canoeing. Bung provision for tap - optional extra.
All other products say something about water storage for camping in both the name and the description. All this made me think Gerard was right and that I'd need a new fermenter. However I got a staff member to get a contact number for the manufacturer (Aust. Co. (VIC) - BMW Plastics) so I could call to get the info straight from the horse's mouth. What I was told from this phone call was that - despite the differing labels, all the BMW products are made from the same HDPE and as such are all Food Grade.

I'm now happy to keep using my cheap fermenter. :) If anyone wants to make the same phone call to satisfy their own curiosity, PM me for the number or use google.

Cheers,

:beer:

microbe

Back