Need Help With Airstone.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onescooter

Reaction score
Was hoping someone could please help me use an airstone and airpump for aeration. My story began when I bought a 2 micron airstone, filter and some silicon tube from trusty brew shop. I had what I thought to a decent airpump lying around the house so I used it. No end of dramas trying to fit all the gear together due to the fact that hose was half the size that it needed to be to fit over the barb on the filter and the stone. Went out and got some plastic tube from the hardware store, plumbed it up, and found myself a long way from ever pushing out enough air. Figured that pump may be too old so purchased recommended airpump from trusty brew shop. Started out pushing out an acceptable amount of air but within a couple of minutes was terrible again.
I guess it should be noted that I have avoided touching the stone, so that I don't block it up. I sanitized the stone with starsan while pushing air through. I am not sure if I have clogged the stone up some how. If so, how do I unclog it? How am I supposed to carry out this operation without stuffing up my equipment again? I know that it is recommended to sanitize the stone by boiling, but I am unsure if the plastic air hose will take well to boiling water.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott.

Hi OneScooter
I also bought an air stone and had problems also , but it was my fault because when i first got my air stone i sanitized it but i didn;t push any air throu it so it blocked , i had to get my compressor out and blow it out and i let it dry out for a few day's , second try i put my hoses and the air stone and air filter together and kept the air blowing thru the stone , now i can drop it in a bit of iodiphor or what ever you sanitize with then into wort and bubbles nicely for 15 minutes and then pitch yeast job done :beerbang: hope that helps .
Cheers Phil

Latest posts

Back