Need a new tap for my C02 cylinder cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diydave

Reaction score
Hi all

I took my steel Co2 cylinder in for testing yesterday at ozaquatec (great guys, Paul is very helpful, highly recommend them), the cylinder passed with flying colours, then they went to put the valve back in and realised the thread was damaged, thus i need a new valve. They offered to try and source once for me, about $200 bucks if they can get one.

Hoping there might be someone else out there whose cylinder has failed and has a tap going spare.

Alternatively someone who knows a place that does Cylinder Repairs in Brisbane that I could get a new one from. Found a place in the states that sells them online http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_20_312&products_id=353
just not 100% positive that it is the right tap, certainly looks right and has the right description, just not sure if it meets our Australian standards.

Tap is a type 30, 3/4 NGT thread to go in the bottle and normal CGA320 outlet to attach to Regulator. Picture attached

Any help would be appreciated,

P6220718.JPG

I think I have one around here some place.

Batz

Contact info for the guys that were doing the conversions

Blazetech

Approved pressure testing service.

Fire Protection Equipment & Consultants - Labrador, QLD
7/ 231 Brisbane Rd, Labrador QLD 4215, Australia

phone_icon.png
(07) 5537 7616

Weren't these cylinders originally made in good old USA? Generally the Fire Extinguishers have a parallel thread don't they, this one is tapered.

diydave said:
Weren't these cylinders originally made in good old USA? Generally the Fire Extinguishers have a parallel thread don't they, this one is tapered.
No idea about standard cylinders... but older extinguishers have a tapered thread and the keg king valves fit them. KK sell the valves from their cylinders as spares. from memory around 30 bucks (not on KK catalogue but if you contact them they should have them avail)

cheers

The thread was damaged when removed for hydrostatic testing?
Tell the buggers who damaged it to replace it.... or am I missing something?

They have this lovely piece of paper you sign to say that any damage done if the valve is stuck when it is removed is not their fault. The problem was caused by the last person who did the test, over tightened the valve (or so they say).

If you don't have any luck let me know Dave. The cylinder testing company I use will probably have what you need. I'm not interested in making anything on it. I'll be in buying bottles from them later in the week anyway.

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions and offers, i have now purchased a new valve, cost including freight came in under $30, a bargain really, didn't really want to throw away the cylinder.

diydave said:
Hi all, thanks for your suggestions and offers, i have now purchased a new valve, cost including freight came in under $30, a bargain really, didn't really want to throw away the cylinder.

Sorry I didn't get back to you Dave but it looks like you have it sorted. If all fails and you want to try the one I have send me a pm.

I'm a little surprised though, I would have thought the cylinder thread would be the one to receive the damage before the valve.

Batz

To be honest Batz, i haven't looked at the bottle thread yet, must do that now before I take the bottle back to get the valve fitted and gassed up.

Latest posts

Back