Need A Browser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I have fixed up SWMBOs desktop and bought a wifi card and it's finding the router ok, etc. Problem is that IE won't come up for some reason (it's an old computer from her daughter, running Windows XP, when you double click Internet Explorer there is an hourglass for a couple of seconds then nothing).

So on my machine I downloaded Firefox.exe install file, and Opera.exe but when putting them on SWMBOs machine via my stick drive they are both "file corrupt" for some reason. What I need is a standalone file that I can use to install Firefox or Opera without being connected to the internet. And then connect. At the moment the catch 22 is that I haven't got a browser working on that machine so I can't get out to obtain FF or O.

Any suggestions?
I don't want to have to reinstall XP

Is it possible the stick rather than the files are at fault?

Can you burn a CD with the files and try that?

I'd suggest that you've got a bigger problem (done a virus check lately?), but firefox portable will get you over the line. Just whack it on your usb and at least you'll have a functioning browser.

I'd be doing a virus and spy ware check as soon as possible...

Have a look at this for me:

Go Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings and tell us what's ticked?

Sometimes "Automatically Detect Settings" can cause issues if it's on.

I was gonna suggest to use a disk from a computer magazine, just pop it in and install then update firefox.

How far is the PC from the router? Is an ethernet cable possible? It may get you online to make troubleshooting easier/possible.

Being a born again Linux user I find it hard not to suggest that if you have to reformat then ditch xp & install Ubuntu. I've got no idea what the machine will be used for though. There are things that won't work on Linux.

Bribie, format the usb stick to fat16 or fat 32. copy a new download of Firefox then try again. Also try booting into safe mode in XP and run explorer (there may be a command to run explorer in safe mode anyway - check google ) and go into the addons or extensions or extra tool bars and delete them all from explorer. I've seen quite a few problems with older versions of explorer and tool bars and addons that I have mended doing this that show your symptoms.

I have a 5 year old acer lappy running ubuntu Lucid I installed only a week ago and it's faster than xp and no problems at all. Just make sure if you go the Ubuntu way ( and its a good os ) that your wireless card is supported ( or list here ). My old broadcom wireless card in the lappy was not out of the box ready but was updatable through Ubuntu updates online and it did it all itself. Problem was the wireless did not work so no internet to update it. Problem solved by just plugging the lappy into my iMac and sharing the internet through the iMac to the laptop or could plug lappy into the router direct. Everything else works sweet from printers to cameras etc.... just plug it in and it works.