Nats At Adelaide In Oct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, want to say what a great night, met new faces, tasted some great beers. It was good to put some names to the faces. Thumbs up to the organizers.
Will definately put in some extra beers for the state championships. :party:

Pat

... the bayside brewers had a 11am flight and there were still people drinking at their place at 3am when i left...

It seemed like a good idea at the time... but boy was I regretting that decision on Sunday morning. I nearly did this to the poor person sitting next to me on my flight home: :icon_vomit:

bloody good weekend though!

That was a big weekend. :icon_drunk:
Great to see all those judges,stewards and family travel from interstate and country SA.
We appreciate your support.

One of NSW and Australia's best took it out again but it was another unlikely lad from NSW that stole the limelight :lol:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/fo...3-1226173475923

Congratulations to all those that qualified and to those place getters in amongst that.

Cheers
Mark (on behalf of the organisers)

"Stout Judge Ian Traynor"
Now given that some of the beers in that photo are pale I can only guess that stout is a reference to something else ;)

Not surprised though that my Strong Pale Lager got only 14th, seeing it was somehow judged as a Traditional Bock. :blink: Wonder how that happened.

Must have been some strong beers on that table. My Dopplebock was judged as an Eisbock ...???

Not surprised though that my Strong Pale Lager got only 14th, seeing it was somehow judged as a Traditional Bock. :blink: Wonder how that happened.

Must have been some strong beers on that table. My Dopplebock was judged as an Eisbock ...???

Either there was a lot of re-categorising in that section or typos in the results. My Eis Maibock is listed as a Strong Pale Lager, wont really know until we get the judging sheets back.

Congrats to Organisers, Judges and Stewards etc, for putting on a great comp, it was fantastic.

"Stout Judge Ian Traynor"
Now given that some of the beers in that photo are pale I can only guess that stout is a reference to something else ;)

God made me ugly and genetics (and excessive calories) made me large, but I still have all my hair Ben !!!

:rolleyes:

Though I might use that expression "stout judge" in my signature somewhere...

actually we were lucky to scrounge up the beers for the photos. All calibration beers were gone and we had to make several drinks out of bottle dregs. The guy took a hundred photos, mostly with me reposed on the green. I think these are going on Facebook. Autographed signed copies available on request.

Congratulations to all NSW winners and placegetters. Except for Barry I had to get up and receive every winning NSW entry as there was only us 2 New South Welshmen there. Great trophies too! The organisers are posting them out (I think) as I could not take them on the plane and BC is still driving around SA and Vic somehere.

God made me ugly and genetics (and excessive calories) made me large, but I still have all my hair Ben !!!

:rolleyes:

Though I might use that expression "stout judge" in my signature somewhere...

actually we were lucky to scrounge up the beers for the photos. All calibration beers were gone and we had to make several drinks out of bottle dregs. The guy took a hundred photos, mostly with me reposed on the green. I think these are going on Facebook. Autographed signed copies available on request.
I knew you must have judged that category but how could I resist a setup like that? :)

I also know that the photos don't always relate to the article properly. For the recent Babbs IPA comp up here at Archive the Courier Mail took a photo of us all holding glasses of the Little Creatures Dreadnaught Stout :)

I got my judging notes in the mail last week, thanks to the judges!

I was expecting a certificate or something for my 3rd place, will they be coming later?

Top 3 placers recieved a trophy. Someone from your State likely took it home to pass on to you.

Edit - pop Fatzgodzilla or Barry a PM as they were both in attendance.

Yeah I received a nice little trophy yesterday in a postpack as well and today I got the feedback sheets. The trophy didnt have anything written on it, such as 3rd in specialty category, were they supposed to?

Also I would like to thank some of the judges for their constructive feedback, it helps in the refining process for next time when there are some very helpful hints. It was interesting to read the scoresheets and see how different judges perceived my beers. My weissbier was perceived by one judge as having "firm clove phenolic but lacking in banana flavour", whilst another judge wrote "strong banana flavour, not much clove". Different palates pick up different things.

I understand and appreciate the effort that judges put into these comps and by the end of the comp it can get pretty fatiguing Im sure. It was however, disappointing that one judge who judged my Vienna Lager wrote a total of 4 words on the score sheet, pretty poor IMHO.

Once again thanks to the organisers and the folks from SA for running the Nats this year.

Cheers

Yeah I received a nice little trophy yesterday in a postpack as well and today I got the feedback sheets. The trophy didnt have anything written on it, such as 3rd in specialty category, were they supposed to?

Based on judging happening fri/sat, then presentations that sat evening, I don't believe there is time to get a heap of trophies engraved. As such its trophy presented 'as is' for each winner.

Based on judging happening fri/sat, then presentations that sat evening, I don't believe there is time to get a heap of trophies engraved. As such its trophy presented 'as is' for each winner.

True, but that being said I thought at least the category engraved would have been nice. On the up side the metal cups beat the shit out of the glass handle I won back in 2008.

BYB

I wouldnt have expected anyone to be engraving any trophies after judging. I wasnt referring to having my name on the trophy. I thought it may have had the category and the relative place (1st, 2nd or 3rd) on it. I thought i would ask the question just to check!

Cheers

Certainly a valid point to have the category on them maybe for next year. Not on the committee so can't comment further, well done on the placing in any case!

My understanding is that engraving on trophies hasn't been done for AABC since 2000.
I got this from a member of the AABC committee.

Cheers
Mark

I thought the glasses from last year with the place and category on them were good.

glass_2010.jpg

edit: fixed image rotation

Top 3 placers recieved a trophy. Someone from your State likely took it home to pass on to you.

Edit - pop Fatzgodzilla or Barry a PM as they were both in attendance.

To help the organisers some state reps took home trophies. I think Mike was hoping we (Barry & I) would take the NSW ones. HOWEVER, I knew nothing of this, so flew over with carry on luggage only. I don't think I could have fitted all those trophies in my back pack. Barry was driving home via woop woop and was concerned he couldn't get them there either. So last I saw, they were sitting at Holdfast Bay Bowling Club. I assumed the cost of posting to the various winners were to be met by the AABC.

They are very high quality trophies, all be it un engraved. Put your own details on them.

haldini Posted Nov 1 2011, 06:35 PM

I got my judging notes in the mail last week, thanks to the judges!

I was expecting a certificate or something for my 3rd place, will they be coming later?

If your trophy doesn't arrive I accepted the trophy on your behalf and had my photo taken. And you were the first trophy given out .. that should give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

Latest posts

Back