Nasa / Turkey Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorBob

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Anyone running a NASA (Turkey) burner on a adjustable 0 - 30psi gas regulator.

I have just bought one, and am happy with the heat coming off it (nearly took what little hair I have off, and the paint off the shed roof), but the flame seems very yellow, and is leaving a lot of carbon / soot on my brew pot, and the flames are licking around the sides of the pot. I am worried it will damage my temp gauage & valve.

Do they always run like this? Do I need to build a heat shield into my rig? Will the yellow flame turn blue (better combustion) when it has been run for a few hours? I have got the air intake ring wide open.

Help appreciated

Dr Bob

There is a decent read on burners in a thread by domonsura, with particular reference to the NASA... one particular post here that has a link to a video of it running that might give you some idea on what others are doing.

Hi Guys.

Anyone running a NASA (Turkey) burner on a adjustable 0 - 30psi gas regulator.

I have just bought one, and am happy with the heat coming off it (nearly took what little hair I have off, and the paint off the shed roof), but the flame seems very yellow, and is leaving a lot of carbon / soot on my brew pot, and the flames are licking around the sides of the pot. I am worried it will damage my temp gauage & valve.

Do they always run like this? Do I need to build a heat shield into my rig? Will the yellow flame turn blue (better combustion) when it has been run for a few hours? I have got the air intake ring wide open.

Help appreciated

Dr Bob
It's been a long time since I set mine up Dr B but from memory I did the same thing. I had the air intake wide open, try winding it in until you get the flame you want.

Just had another play in the shed. The burner still runs a yellow flame whatever I do with the air control ring. Might take it apart and check for blockages.

Even when I crank the reg right up it is still a yellow flame (although a lot bigger....2 - 3 foot high)

Just tried it with a 2kg / hr BBQ regulator and it still has a very yellow flame whatever the air flow disc setting is. The burner is a Bayou classic BG10 high pressure burner. I have seen talk of altering jet sizes but as far as I can see there is no jet. The gas inlet pipe just feeds straight into the burner. Any ideas?

On first use you will find that it melts all the paint and this gets inside causing yellow flame and smoking.
Undo the centre screw and remove te middle bit, get to it with a wire brush and give it a good clean out.
Put it back together and you should notice a huge difference.
Cheers
Nige

Ya got me Dr B, how about some pics? I can only think that the reg maybe ??? Is it a high pressure reg?

0 to 30 psi adjustable regulator. Runs yellow flame whatever the setting...

On first use you will find that it melts all the paint and this gets inside causing yellow flame and smoking.
Undo the centre screw and remove te middle bit, get to it with a wire brush and give it a good clean out.
Put it back together and you should notice a huge difference.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks for the advice. I'll run it for an hour or so then clean out and see what happens, although the burner doesn't look to be painted, just made of cheap cast iron.

Thanks for the advice. I'll run it for an hour or so then clean out and see what happens, although the burner doesn't look to be painted, just made of cheap cast iron.

Hmmm. Ran it up, stripped and wire brushed, & still a yellow flame.

Latest posts

Back