Nailing Aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I can remember reading something similar in the "Extreme Brewing" book. Was just flicking through it in a bookshop so cant really remember.

randyrob, have you considered a late-hop only brew (hopburst)? Add all of your hops at 5 min intervals starting at 20 min - don't use a bittering charge. Obviously you need a lot more hops, but hey, that's the point. I end up with loads of aroma using this technique. It's great for an APA/IPA.

Heya Goatherder,

i'll definately be adding that one to my list! thanks for the idea.

Rob.

Kook, i used to do a similar process, but recently have changed the timing of some of my aroma hops to post whirlpool, and i do believe it has made a significant difference for me. I will continue to do it.

This stupid reply was meant to include Kooks comments as well...oh well

I thought agitation while hot would lead to the dreaded HSA (if it does exist). I stir/whirlpool after chilling. Not that my chilling efforts have resulted in tremendously cold beer though :huh:

This stupid reply was meant to include Kooks comments as well...oh well

I thought agitation while hot would lead to the dreaded HSA (if it does exist). I stir/whirlpool after chilling. Not that my chilling efforts have resulted in tremendously cold beer though :huh:

I'm pretty gentle when I stir it, due to worries about HSA. As I use a CF chiller, without pumping the cool liquid back into the kettle I can't see an easy way of whirlpooling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and sure enough somebody will, but in British brewing it is common practice to add the aroma hop to the whirlpool.

Also I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb for a good aroma is to use twice as much as your flavour hop.

don't get too worried about HSA, I saw a HBer win an award (bottle cap or a shiny bead or something), then harass the Judge because his HB was supposedly afflicted by the dreaded HSA! If only the Judge knew that before he tasted it ;)

To whirlpool - stir with a sanitised spoon after using you immersion chiller, or do it before you no-chill. Don't have to have a pump. (that was my thought when I started too!)

don't get too worried about HSA, I saw a HBer win an award (bottle cap or a shiny bead or something), then harass the Judge because his HB was supposedly afflicted by the dreaded HSA! If only the Judge knew that before he tasted it ;)

I too have my reservations about the whole hot side aeration thing...

Although constantly trying to avoid HSA, there was a point at which I mentioned a blockage when racking to the no-chill cube and ending up having to basically pour the hot wort straight from the tap...it must have seen some aeration...the end result was bloody brilliant anyway :ph34r:

PZ.

Rob,

I have always dry hopped in my primary, I usually drop just a single plug of cascade in when I pitch my yeast. I also still include a 5min late addition. I have had relatively good results everytime.

Although I do agree with neonmeate in that the fresher the hops the better. I have found lately that my dry hopping hasn't produced as good an aroma and I put that down to the age of the hop plug.

i've just started keg hopping again and can confirm:
Hops, wherever, whenever, it's all good :)

Hey Everyone,

thanks for the flood of ideas! i'm going to do the usual thing and try them all and see what works for me.
i'll try the geoffi method first, then jye's then i'll go the goatherder hopburst!

Rob.

Back