Myth Busters - Chilling Beer The Fastest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
Did anyone see it tonight?

They chilled a six pack to a few degrees from room temperature in less than 3 mins using a CO2 fire extinguisher!

time for a bulk buy? LOL :lol:

6 packs or fire e xtinguishers?

:p

Thing that amused me was they presented the magic box chiller as if it were something new and innovative..... :wacko:

Since seeing that episode months ago, the old salt, water & ice method has come in handy for quick chilling on a few occasions :D

missed that episode killer, what is the salt water & ice methodc???????
occ

I just keep them in the fridge!!!!

It's a shame that the burning petrol method at the beach method didn't work. It would be ideal for a hot day at the beach.

OCC, it's a chemical reaction, just sprinkle salt over the ice and it gets colder by a few degrees. Something to do with the ice absorbing heat faster and melting quicker, or something like that.
When I saw a teacher do this in highschool science, it blew my mind.

Simon W said:
OCC, it's a chemical reaction, just sprinkle salt over the ice and it gets colder by a few degrees. Something to do with the ice absorbing heat faster and melting quicker, or something like that.
When I saw a teacher do this in highschool science, it blew my mind.
[post="107598"][/post]​

BAsically the salt triggers a change of material state, ie latent heat change. Salt water freezes at a lower temp than fresh water, when salt is added to wet ice, the salt dissolves into a solution that is above its freezing point, to melt the ice into water again requires more heat which it takes sensible heat from its surrounds to provide the latent heat required to melt the ice.

Really the salt just accelerates the heat absorbtion of the ice.

edit: grammar

Yeah something technical like that :p

When they probed the salt/ice/water mix it was something like -4 degC.

timmy said:
Salt water freezes at a lower temp than fresh water,

[post="107611"][/post]​

Thats the basis on which i freeze my pet bottles for temp control on my primary.Salt in the solution takes longer to freeze but they reach lower temp,therfore lasting longer in the fridge.

I would have expected Myth Busters to go all out and use the jet powered method of beer cooling.

This has been around for a few years :- The Jet Powered Beer Cooler

Wally.

Surely this would make for expensive cooling

:beerbang:

That's why I read this stuff: for all the good ideas. I need to pre-chill my water for my heat exchanger, so I thought I'd just stick a few containers of water in the freezer and then stick them in a bath with my coil. My question is: what is the solubility of Nacl; how much can I put in a litre of water before it precipitates? And how much will this decrease the freezing point?
Anybody know?
Oh wait here's one of those icons :huh:

Never mind about the solubility. Found the answer, thanks to wikipedia:
35.9g/100ml
Still don't know the freezing point depression numbers though.
Left my general chemistry text in the states.
TIA

I've tried this, but just be ware that bottle caps rust a lot quicker with salt in the water

racemate said:
That's why I read this stuff: for all the good ideas. I need to pre-chill my water for my heat exchanger, so I thought I'd just stick a few containers of water in the freezer and then stick them in a bath with my coil. My question is: what is the solubility of Nacl; how much can I put in a litre of water before it precipitates? And how much will this decrease the freezing point?
Anybody know?
[post="107661"][/post]​

Forget the salt water racemate. Fill your bottles with a glycol solution. That way you'll get sub zero temperatures without freezing.

vlbaby.

racemate said:
Never mind about the solubility. Found the answer, thanks to wikipedia:
35.9g/100ml
Still don't know the freezing point depression numbers though.
Left my general chemistry text in the states.
TIA
[post="107680"][/post]​

for some bizarre reason, I've just done an experiment with all this, using that rate approx will stop water freezing in a conventional freezer - so it woul make an excellant super fast stubbie cooler but an absolutely crap frozen coke bottle to cool down water with.

having spoken with a chemist about this (not the pharmaceutical kind!), using salty water in a pet bottle is unlikely to provide any further heat sink advantage over straight water - if it does its only a few percent and not noticeable. You can easily test this by making up some salt water ice cubes with some fresh water ones, leave in freezer for a day, then take out, after an hour (when both sets of cubes have melted) take the temp of the water.

Salt water is great for making a sub freezing slush, but pretty much beyond usefulness when contained within a bottle. BTW, salt water is used in freezer bricks to protect the plastic from cracking.

I use my chestfreezer to chill my brews down rapidly,it only takes an hour and a half. B)

racemate said:
Anybody know?
[post="107661"][/post]​

36g for every 100g water - so 360g per litre. That's alot of salt!

Latest posts

Back