Myth Busters - Chilling Beer The Fastest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brauluver said:
timmy said:
Salt water freezes at a lower temp than fresh water,

[post="107611"][/post]​

Thats the basis on which i freeze my pet bottles for temp control on my primary.Salt in the solution takes longer to freeze but they reach lower temp,therfore lasting longer in the fridge.
[post="107655"][/post]​

Not sure about that theory Sorry. Temp reached can only be as low as the freezer is sitting. However once they start to melt the surface temp of the bottles will be lower than with fresh water becasue the fluid can still be below 0. This would in turn give a bigger temp differential with the air around it and keep things cooler. Not sure about it being cooler for longer.

Brent

wiggins said:
I use my chestfreezer to chill my brews down rapidly,it only takes an hour and a half. B)
[post="108912"][/post]​

I find the upright freezer is brilliant when it's blowing straight onto the bottle. Half hour tops for most bottles.

My best method with no risk of freezing the beer is to use one of those motorised wine chillers. About 10mins for a 375ml and 15mins for a 750ml bottle. It's a hastle though.

tony

Back