My No Chill Cube Expanded?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been covered. One of the reasons a lot of people NC is convenience. For example...your fermenting fridge may be full but you only have spare time now to brew; knock out a brew, cube it, and leave it until your fridge has free space.

Im going to agree here, once my mate does some welding for me i will be able to end up with 50lt post boil so i will probably chill half and no chill the other for later

This has been covered. One of the reasons a lot of people NC is convenience. For example...your fermenting fridge may be full but you only have spare time now to brew; knock out a brew, cube it, and leave it until your fridge has free space.

I find it pure conveniance to no chill, I have one of those copper immersion chillers and havnt used it, ive no chilled all my AG batches and havnt had a problem, left a couple of them for 3-4 weeks in the cube too...

:eek: Nooooooooooooooooo, thats not a good thing!

I've padded this one away Revilled. This time.

As for the other comments - thanks for the advice. I'm certainly sticking with NC. With the above mentioned little ones, it's all about the convenience. If I lose one in 11, then I'll live with that.

But learnings for me (and perhaps other NC'ers)

1. Blown up cube is bad. Down the drain bad. Infection for sure.
2. An infection is likely to occur if your cube is opened and not immeadiatley transferred to the fermenter and yeast pitched (or at least yeast pitched)
3. The tap is an easy way to get the cube open. Potentially, it also doesn't seal as well as a plug.
4. Don't leave your cubes outside the green zone (aka safe from curious children)

Not so sure about leaving cubes in the fridge. I reckon as long as it can be kept near pitching temp it should be OK. May or may not require a fridge.

Thanks for advice

Cheers
Paul

This happend to me on a double brew day and they both swelled after a few days. That was the last time I no chilled. Now I just do single batchs and chill with th imersion chiller down to 30 or 40 deg C then transfer to the fermenter, without splashing, and put in the fermentation fridge for a few hours until the temp comes down to pitching temps, then I airate and pitch. No more infections and a better beer is the end result.

Steve

All I can picture after reading this thread is a little toddler turning the tap on an unattended cube and watching the wort splash on the ground then running away knowing hes done something bad. Cant stop laughing :lol:

All I can picture after reading this thread is a little toddler turning the tap on an unattended cube and watching the wort splash on the ground then running away knowing hes done something bad. Cant stop laughing :lol:

My daughter (21months) did that the other week while I was racking, I turned my back for two seconds and she had removed the hose from the now nearly empty primary......

Luckily it only resulted in a small loss, but the look on her face when I spun around was priceless, one of those "I'm helping you Daddy" faces...

yeah thats cool, tis why i disclaimer'd myself lol

Personnaly I dont have taps on my cubes. I don't think they would seal well enough. Get some plugs from the hardware and seal them up. Make sure that the tap holes are clean.

Kabooby :)

My first I did with a tap on it for convenience with no problems, however the second time due to the heat and this particular cube the tap wasn't tight enough and when I "squeezed" to get rid of some of the air guess what popped out!

Needless to say I stopped using taps, also the fact that it could let nasties in.

Hi All,

This No Chill process intrigues me. We're currently mulling over our cooling strategy (Italian Spiral and Humongous Boil Vessel on order). An immersion chiller may be the go - but our brewhouse would then need a pump. And then I'd also have a SWMBO enquiring as to cost per litre...

Is there a thread which explains it in simple terms? (I set Google onto it and Google duly sent me here).

Cheers

Breezy

Hi All,

This No Chill process intrigues me. We're currently mulling over our cooling strategy (Italian Spiral and Humongous Boil Vessel on order). An immersion chiller may be the go - but our brewhouse would then need a pump. And then I'd also have a SWMBO enquiring as to cost per litre...

Is there a thread which explains it in simple terms? (I set Google onto it and Google duly sent me here).

Cheers

Breezy

Try here...
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=56

Back