My New Zealand Trip Ii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
We drove down to Dunedin and I had been in contact with Stephen Moore at Emersons and our schedule did not coincide with their brewery tour dates. He did however recommend a place that we fell in love with. The Eureka bar. I introduced myself to a guy behind the bar that turned out to be the manager, Nigel. All I said was that I was a home grain brewer and that I was active on this site and the red carpet was rolled out well and truly. What a blast it was getting commentary and discussion on each beer as we tried it. The food here was awesome as well and Nigel matched our beers with our meals. 'I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of deciding what beers you are having with your meals when I saw your order go to the kitchen'. Come on, it just doesn't get better than that does it? I was having the salmon this time so it was decided I would have an Epic Lager. This beer comes from Auckland but shouldn't be judged too quickly on this fact. South Island beer appreciators seem to think the north island isn't much chop usually. It was a corker off the tap, made with 16 different hops apparently. Teri's meal of marinated mushroom salad posed a problem for Nigel so he went to the kitchen and discussed this with Dave, the head cook and owner. The boys decided on the Emersons IPA. Both were perfect as were the meals.

eurekameals.jpg

You know you are in the right place when they tell you of a limited release beer for the season that they only have three bottles of and you are welcome to have one. Invercargill brewery has released a Boysenbeery beer that is ideal with desert. Eurekas own chocolate brownies were recommended and we smiled like Cheshire cats with every sip and mouthful. When a larger amount of this beer is released it will go on the menu permanently with the brownies.

eureakadesert.jpg

Of note was one called The Smokin Bishop. This is a seasonal release from the Invercargill brewery. According to Nigel last years release was even smokier but they decided to turn it down to make it more appealing to the general public. Pity really. Even after this de-smoking a glass of this with fried eggs in the morning and you would not need the bacon.

eureakabeers.jpg

During the course of the evening we also went through the entire Emersons range and they were all delish A+. One seasonal invention by Richard Emerson is Taieri George. I found the naming of this beer worth mentioning itself, if I get it right. From my blurry memory Richards grandfather was named George and he worked on the amazing Taieri Gorge railway that is a story unto itself. To drink it is like a lovely glass of hot cross bun. Spicy and rich and well, moorish. This is when we found out that Nigel is not a silly billy. He goes out and buys six packs of these seasonals and puts them away for a long time and says his two year old Taieri Gorge is remarkable. Supposedly all the spices fuse together into one delectable flavour bomb. Next time I go to the south island I intend to break into Nigels house and ransack his basement.

eurakanigel.jpg

Hey Henno, are you on the Tourism NZ payroll? :lol:

Great reviews of find food and beer. And it's great to hear that AHBs are know is other parts of Australia -not just the mainland :p

InCider.

Welcome to NZ Henno.

If you are in Christchurch there are a number of pubs which have a good selection of craft beers many hours lost in hoppiness!

The Twisted Hop, Zymergy, Propeller Bar all come to mind.

(Hopefully you have not taken Invade New Zealand literally!)

Cheers

I am not on the payroll incider but it is a fantastic place for beer, food and fun albeit bloody cold.

Sumo I loved Chch just as much and have already done a write up on our evenings there. The Twisted Hop rocks. Zymergy and Propeller bar will go into the data banks for next time.

Something else that I feel obliged to say about these blokes is the generosity. I told Nigel and the owner whose name I think was Dave that I was collecting beer glasses for my bar back home. Dave said come back tomorrow and I'll bring you some of mine from home. Nige threw me a polo shirt that they had that was too big for anybody and the next day I went back and Dave wasn't there so I asked one of the staff and before I could finish the sentence she plonked a big box of pints and half pints on the bar. Bloody great. Thanks again for the evening chaps.

At the airport when they x-rayed my backpack that was chockas with glasses and padded with socks and undies the customs bloke gave me a wink and said 'Looks like you raided the pub mate'. I could honestly say to him I had paid for or been given every one of them.

Man, looks like you had a wicked time! I definately must get down to the sth island some time...

I myself just had a fantastic beer weekend in wellington, tried the smoking bishop too which was fantastic!!

Auckland really needs to pick up its game... <_<

Back