• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

My Love Of Munich Malt.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All.

Just a brief proclamation... Munich malt is bloody awesome.

10 - 20% of light Munich in almost any ale recipe is a must in my opinion. Such great malt character and smoothness. I love it.

The brew I did last night had 25% and it tasted awesome going into the fermenter.

Cheers.

Hi All.

Just a brief proclamation... Munich malt is bloody awesome.

10 - 20% of light Munich in almost any ale recipe is a must in my opinion. Such great malt character and smoothness. I love it.

The brew I did last night had 25% and it tasted awesome going into the fermenter.

Cheers.

Oh no a brewer from Crazieburn... You'll be popular in your street. :lol:

FWIW yes, nobody will argue with your appraisal of Munich Malt. :)

Warren -

maybe you should think about asking newguy for his award winning recipe for a marzen.

100% Munich malt. :)

EDIT: Maybe it was a dunkel?

+1 :wub: Big time, just went halves in a sack of it with a mate cos ill use 500g-1kg in everything, when I dont, I regret it badly!!

Especially cos in NZ were getting this really cheap Pils malt, $52NZD for a 25kg Sack, so bugger all, but its quite thin and lacks malt character, nothing a bit of Munich wont fix and it really keeps the cost down B)

Oh no a brewer from Crazieburn... You'll be popular in your street. :lol:

FWIW yes, nobody will argue with your appraisal of Munich Malt. :)

Warren -

Everyone loves Craigieburn mate! While the rest of the country is going down my house has gone up by 10%!!!

ahhh - yes - easy to win friends when the smell of hops and malt cariies down the street - munich helps that as well.

Cheers.

Im so tempted todo a dunkel with 100% munich. I wonder how the weyermann would go with just a sacch rest? maybe better with a protien and sacch?

Dude, do it!! I did a Munich Dunkel with 3kg Munich and 1.5kg Vienna, 200g of Carafa, just did a single infusion mash at 66*c and **** me this beer was good, like seriously good!!! So rich velvety and malty but clean as well cos of the lager yeast. I was very very sad when the keg ran out :(

Everyone loves Craigieburn mate! While the rest of the country is going down my house has gone up by 10%!!!

ahhh - yes - easy to win friends when the smell of hops and malt cariies down the street - munich helps that as well.

Cheers.

You better sell th house quick to lock in the profits, then you can buy in the burbs that have gone down, and spend the difference on munich malt.

1kg of munich in everything...including breakfast

Dude, do it!! I did a Munich Dunkel with 3kg Munich and 1.5kg Vienna, 200g of Carafa, just did a single infusion mash at 66*c and fxxk me this beer was good, like seriously good!!! So rich velvety and malty but clean as well cos of the lager yeast. I was very very sad when the keg ran out :(

:icon_drool2:

Nuf said!

Dude, do it!! I did a Munich Dunkel with 3kg Munich and 1.5kg Vienna, 200g of Carafa, just did a single infusion mash at 66*c and **** me this beer was good, like seriously good!!! So rich velvety and malty but clean as well cos of the lager yeast. I was very very sad when the keg ran out :(

I did one with Munich and Munich II, about 64/35, with just 1% carafa Special II and it is drinking very very nicely.
I just did a single infusion with mash out...

I did one with Munich and Munich II, about 64/35, with just 1% carafa Special II and it is drinking very very nicely.
I just did a single infusion with mash out...

how was the attenuation & mash temp? Did you use weyermann? Im assuming as you have named munich II :)

I'd do mine with 99% Weyermann Munich with like 0.5-1% carafa just to adjust colour. I can taste the 'loaf bier' already! Maybe even a double decoction mash with 100% Munich to get ther colour there. Now there is an idea worth brewing! :icon_drool2:

Yes both weyermann.
I mashed at 65C. The beer was 1053 OG and finished at 1014 so that's, whatever it is attenuation...
S189 dried lager yeast.
Definitely want to try it again with a yeast to emphasise the maltiness even more. s189 is a little too clean...

how was the attenuation & mash temp? Did you use weyermann? Im assuming as you have named munich II

I'd do mine with 99% Weyermann Munich with like 0.5-1% carafa just to adjust colour. I can taste the 'loaf bier' already! Maybe even a double decoction mash with 100% Munich to get ther colour there. Now there is an idea worth brewing! :icon_drool2:

I really really dug the coffee flavour/smell that 200g of Carafa gave me :icon_drool2: Why just get colour when you can get so so much more ;)

Just don't let it drift down to Roxburgh Park and Meadow Heights. You'll have a holy war on your hands. B)

Warren -

Some german Altbier breweries use 100% munich, but a fairly light lovibond version, probably lighter than we can get our hands on.

Back